Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Accura Problems?

Old 12-11-2009, 10:21 AM
ogg
Fork Horn

ordered my Accura SS lastnight...What cleaning things do I need.(oils etc.)I currently only have hoppes cleaning kit with the bore cleaner and outside lubricant and big round patches.Will this work or should I get something else?This is my first muzzleloader so any tips would be helpfull.

Last edited by ogg; 12-11-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Banned

i use hot soapy water and just soak the breech plug end in the bucket and pull the hot water through and flush out the barrel. Run patches until its dry then use some windex dampened patches to mop up excess water i may have missed, followed up by more dry patches. Lube or use teflon tape on breech plug and install it finger tight.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those are pics of my Accura that I took about 5 minutes ago. You can clearly see the cracks that are an "issue". To me, they are a non-issue. The area where those cracks developed is where the barrel is stopped by the frame when opening. The real culprit is probably the fairly sharp edge left at that point in the frame design of the Accura - something I tried to communicate to them long ago but I don't know if they changed it all. My concern at the time was not what you see, rather how easy it is to deform the metal in that area of the frame by simply installing the steell barrel assembly.

The cracks are a non-issue really. They have not and likely never will extend past that curl in the lug weld metal. Sorry I took pics of only one side but both sides are essentially identical. Those cracks are not indicative of any looseness nor are they from slamming the action open. They are from normal operation of the rifle.

Perhaps CVA has corrected that sharp edge? They offered to replace mine but they also agreed the issue was only cosmetic and in no way indicative of a pending failure. Mine shoots so well, swapping barrels was never even a thought in my mind.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:17 PM
ogg
Fork Horn

jsut read the order notification from cabelas in my email and the gun isnt on backorder but the free promotional gun case that comes with it is on backorder so now ill have to wait longer just becasue of the free case.Id rather have them send me the gun and not the gun case that way I wont have to wait.I sent them a email to see if they will do this but I doubt it....
Old 12-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ogg
jsut read the order notification from cabelas in my email and the gun isnt on backorder but the free promotional gun case that comes with it is on backorder so now ill have to wait longer just becasue of the free case.Id rather have them send me the gun and not the gun case that way I wont have to wait.I sent them a email to see if they will do this but I doubt it....
ogg, last year when I ordered my second ACCURA I got the same free gun case, it also was on backorder, but my ACCURA arrived fast and the gun case followed a week or so later, Im sure your ACCURA will come first. But to b sure call them and tell them to ship it and they will. By the way, good choice and Im sure you'll be happy with it.
(BP)
Old 12-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

UC, Thank's for the photos of the cracks on the weld on the ACCURA, I'll watch mine (3) of them to see if they develope. If you say there no concern I'll believe you. Is this gonna happen no matter what, even if Im super careful when I put my barrel back on the receiver? As you the ACCURA Im using now SS/Camo is a super shooter, I cant believe the groups Im getting at 100yds+= 1", I'd really hate to part with the barrel as it is a good one. Keep us ACCURA shooters up to date on the cracks, and I'll keep an eye on mine also.
Thank's
Ron (BP)
Old 12-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

UC,

It was those trashcans :-). How much Swiss were you hurling them with?
Old 12-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, those Trashcans shot well enough for their first time in that rifle but they were punishing. 70 grains of Swiss 3F behind a 497 grain conical was pretty punishing but I don't think they caused those cracks.

That's after only 5 BullShop 460 grainers and 3 of Bat's Trashcan's over that powder charge. Not a great combo for the Accura. The Apex handles the same loads with ease though.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Banned

what primers were you using with the trashcans?
Old 12-12-2009, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

UC,

It's possible that those cracks were caused when the welds cooled down. In which case, they would have been there when you got the rifle but you didn't notice them.

I love the consistency of blackpowder but it gets whatever it propels to velocity quickly and the recoil just seems sharper. I have a friend with a Savage ML. We were shooting the Buffalo 375 SSBs with 44 grains of 4198. I was amazed at how modest the recoil was because were were getting velocities above 1650 with it. 100 grains of 3f black powder can not do that and I can tell you, that the recoil with 100 grains of 3f Goex is pretty sharp under a 375 grain SSB. It leaves a mess around the plug like that also.

UC that breech plug in the Accura looks alot like the plug in my Kodiak Pro. Do you know if they are the same? If they are, does BH 209 work consistently in the Accura?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.