Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
XTPs preformed well (recovered pics) >

XTPs preformed well (recovered pics)

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

XTPs preformed well (recovered pics)

Old 11-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default XTPs preformed well (recovered pics)

2 xtps shot from the same blind 20 minutes apart

The wife's is on the left....Recovered from her 09 buck(11-18-09) 50yd shot....he dropped 40yds later....Took the top of the heart out

200 gr .451 xtp....65grs T7

Mine is on the right. Recovered from a doe(11-18-09) 143 yd shot....through the shoulder and chest and stuck in her back leg.....it most of hit something hard to turn the bullet to get to the angle I found the xtp, she made it 30 yds

250 gr .452 xtp....90grs T7
Old 11-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Great pictures... what kind of blood trail did you have to the deer. I realize, they did not run far, and you probably watched them drop. But was there a blood trail. I really like the expansion of your wife's XTP and for such a small powder charge. Just goes to show that horsing these things is not alway necessary. Congratulations to you and the wife on the deer.. Nice shooting there. Way to fill a freezer.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks good. Congrats to both of you. Thanks for posting these.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

cayugad

Im not really sure about the blood trail on mine and on hers it was less then normal but that was because a piece of rib stuck in the hole. This is the first deer with the 200 but it seemed to preform well.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Can't argue with those results. Those bullets held together real well. Congrats on the kills.

That 65 grain of powder under a 200 grain bullet has got to be a sweet shooting load.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like they did what they're supposed to do. I think that's a good bullet for the powder charge you were using, though if I wanted to step up the powder I think up to the 240gr version as well to avoid over-flattening the bullet (longer shank).
Old 11-20-2009, 05:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good pics. Congrats on the deer to you and your wife. I like the XTPs too. I've never lost a deer using them either in my ML or my handgun. I guess the trick is, like the guys said, don't over push them.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

Its great to see husbands and wife's in the field together. Great pics, My 4 yr old grandson will be going with me on Sunday if i can sneak him out of the house before granny gets up for church. I think GOD will understand if he misses one Sunday. After all there has to be someone to teach him about the importance of the balance of nature.