Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sad finding today

Old 11-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Sad finding today

I was out prowling the woods for turkey in the place where I archery hunt and where I got the buck I posted earlier and came across a sad sight. That high racked 8 pt that I was after was laying in a gully not 200 yds from where I had my treestand. Looks like he was there for a while. A closer examination showed that someone punched a broadhead thru the guts. It's a shame a nice animal like that had to suffer such an agonizing death and be left for food for scavengers.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Too bad. More patience tracking could've given the bowhunters a filled tag, and meat for the freezer. Broadheads should cause death within hours of a gut shot, it's when you go looking for it early where the problems arise. Nonetheless, it happens with bowhunting.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

bronko,

I don't know if this is your first find but there is a pretty good chance it won't be your last.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know were all Hunters here and we all know that it happens. Sometimes it could have been prevented and sometimes not. A small unseen twig or a (iffy shot) or the animal moved after the shot ect ect, or just a lack of practice and bad tracking skills. sometimes things are better left to ourselves than to give the (antis) fuel. It's a shame but the whole food chain will benefit all the way down to the smallest micro-organism. We Hunters must remember to give it are best when Hunting, an animal deserves a quick and clean harvest. Im sure the person responisable feels some shame and quilt inside and that's a feeling that lives with them for awhile, (I hope anyway).
(BP)
Old 11-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well said BP. No Pglasgow, it isnt my first time (been hunting over 45 years) but I really wanted a crack at harvesting this guy myself. I've been watching him since mid July when he was still in velvet. I had him at 40 yds one time but won't take that shot in the woods. Not that I couldn't do it because I am pretty sure I can make the shot. Just that IMO, pretty sure isn't good enough. I figured when the rut kicked in I would have another chance.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bronko, Im like you. I had 2 different 150"-170" Class Bucks within 40yds of me this Bow Season and I let em walk hoping for a (next time) the time never came and I ended my Bow Season yesterday with unfilled tags. I too could have probably made the shot on one of them as I am an accomplished archer, been shooting a Bow for over 30 years and I also am a Charter Life Member of the (IBO) International BowHunting Organization. I shoot the Triple Crown Bow Shoots and practice regulary at distances over 60-70 yds.
But I would'nt Dream of taking the shot unless it was mabey 30-35yds as too much can go wrong and I could'nt live with myself if something went wrong, I love Hunting Whitetails too much and (respect) them.
I had s (Successfull) Bow Season even though I did'nt get the one I was after, I passed on many Buck's that did'nt make the grade , so in time hopefully the will. I had a great time but this time the Bucks won this year.
It's Our New York Shotgun Opener this Morning and I have my ACCURA ready for it's first Hunt, I practiced many hours with my new MLer to be ready for the (best) shot on one of them Big Bucks if it comes today, mabey it will and mabey it wont but if it does Im gonna make darn sure if I pull the hammer back and let the smoke fly that I did my best at making the best shot possible with no if and's or but's, and that the Buck I Harvest will die a (respectable death).
Well wish me luck Im so pummped I cant stand it! Time to go wake up the Wife, (yes the Wife) she also Hunts and with God's help we'll have a Safe and Successfull Opening Day. I'll post some pics if any tonight.
Remember give it your (Best Shot) we owe it to the Animals we Hunt.
Our Best to Everyone!
(BP)
Old 11-21-2009, 04:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good luck BP to you and your wife