Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I might need a muzzelloader, what kind >

I might need a muzzelloader, what kind

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I might need a muzzelloader, what kind

Old 11-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

My thoughts to the point. The triumph is all you need to hear. Nothing else.
Originally Posted by sconnyhunter

I think, IMO, that you all are missing the bigger picture here.

Adding a gun to collection is a necessary thing people. The thread should NOT have started out with "I MIGHT need a muzzel loader", it should have started out with "I AM GETTING a muzzel loader", what should I get.

For the record, I don't have a muzzel loader myself so I look forward to more responses and advice.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

I love my Traditions Pursuit LT Accelerator!

A lot of people on here trash talk them but they are a great gun for the price. You can get them with or without scope and in cammo, black, or nickle patterns.

I compared the Pursuit to the CVA Wolf side by side and to me the pursuit was better built. The wolf just seemed to loose, kinda like an old .22 that might be handed down to a kid from a grandfather.

The pursuit LT accelerator also has the quick removable breach. Make sure what ever gun you buy has a breach like this, it will make your life a lot easier.

Just like shopping for bows I think you need to see which one "FEELS" right to you. The more comfortable you are with the gun, the more accurate you will be. So go up to bass pro and handle some guns, see which one you like.

Stay away from the tv hype, to many followers out there, pick a gun by how it shoots and holds up, not by who is promoting one on tv.

Most of all have fun with it, gun buying is so much fun, especially without the 3 day wait.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:18 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Encore and my son has the Omega , i think the Omega is the best deal for the money and not only that , the best designed muzzy ever made IMO , simple ,accurate . Our Wal Mart always has at least one that they end up selling at close out prices . I got my sons for 109.00 4 years ago and they had one last year go for 125.00 . in a kit . If i had kown it was that cheap i would have bought it for a spare . They have a Z7 at cabela's in the bargan bin thats is a return for 250 . Don't see anything wrong with it except the barrel was not cleaned since it was shot last . I have been tempted to snag it but not sure if i want one with a 24 in barrel .
Old 11-11-2009, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I think the CVA Wolf is the gun for your situation - and I am NEVER wrong.
What he said.
AND he's NEVER wrong
Old 11-11-2009, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

TC is the best if you want simple and accurate with combination of a good hunting load thats accurate then a Triumph with a good scope a Omega Nikon if you may need to shoot over 150 yards what ever you do well with if long range is not needed and some Shock Waves 250gr and Short Black Harvester sabots. This combination should get you to the point where sighting in and about 50 sighting and practice shots should get you to the point where you can hunt with confidence.
The loads that normally produce the best accuracy with this combination are 110 and 120 gr of Blackhorn 209 powder. It is a muzzle loader so you need to clean really well at the point in time before you put it up for next year and oil well with a good gun oil. Lee
Old 11-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

T/C omega. Simple effective and and is open to many load combos. I shoot a 250 grain Hornady XTP bullet with 90 grains of triple 7 powder and 09 primers with a Redfield 3x9 widefeild low profile scope. Shoots great but all ML are diffrent. So I guess its something to start with.
Good luck.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
I have been very pleased with my T/C Omega.
My second muzzleloader was an Omega. I bought the expensive stainless standard model several years ago before the cheap models came out. It shoots OK but is very picky about what it will accept down the bore which is very tight. When I first bought it there were less available options in sabot thickness. Now you can find the ones that will go down the barrel if you spend the time. My question is why spend a lot of time messing with a picky design like the Omega with barrels that are too tight for standard loaded sabot bullets and will not shoot any conicals other than Powerbelts which cannot be driven at higher speeds without problems? Why not just buy an Accura with the Bergara barrel which will shoot conicals, and accept standard bullet/sabot combinations sold over the counter not requiring a lot of time selecting custom sabots? Or find a NEF Sidekick if you get lucky enough to find one still for sale. Even the Sidekick would require some alteration (new breechplug to mention one thing) to be as good as the Accura as delivered.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I loved my NEF sidekick UNTIL I got my Winchester Apex . Then I couldn't sell it fast enough. Even so, the sidekick is straight shooter and good with conicals. Very rough bore new but a straight shooter.

Keith, its good to hear that the Bergara shoots conicals well. What's your favorite conical with it?