Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
anyone use the leupold ultimate slam muzzleloader scope? >

anyone use the leupold ultimate slam muzzleloader scope?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

anyone use the leupold ultimate slam muzzleloader scope?

Old 11-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default anyone use the leupold ultimate slam muzzleloader scope?

this is the scope i was wanting to buy for my tc encore. ive always wanted a leupold.. just wondering if anyone had tried one
Old 11-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

piketon_hunter#9

Yep! and it is a good one - you will really like it...
Old 11-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

No but after my experience with Leupold's I wouldn't buy one either. I only personally know 3 people that own Leupold's including myself and all 3 of us have had them go bad and start losing zero and jumping around when you shoot. Now they were the cheaper VX-I lines but still for a $225-250 scope it shouldn't have an issues. I replaced it on my rifle with a Burris and it's so much nicer clearer scope for quite a bit less.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I currently own four Leupolds.... and have owned two others I wish I hadn't let go with rifles.

Nothing but positives on my end of the spectrum.... but unlike hometheatreman.... my gold standard is a VX-III... however, they are all built well and in my experience with them and selling them and installing them for almost a decade... homethman's experience with them is not the norm. Again, most of what I have dealt with has been the higher end leupold lines, but they are a quality scope throughout.... just have better coatings and higher quality glass in their higher end stuff.... and you can't hit what you can't see.

Best of luck to you.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:32 AM
Fork Horn

I had one mounted on my triumph and i took it back to cabelas and got the Nikon Omega. Theres is just way to much going on looking through that scope for me. I have Leupolds on other guns and love them. I prefer the plain crosshairs on top. Ive read and heard nothing but rave reviews about them, i wouldnt hesitate to get one if you like the reticle setup, cant beat the gold ring warranty.......
Old 11-10-2009, 05:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have three Leupolds, a 2x7 and two 3x9s. All are VX-IIs. Great scopes. I've never had a scope with any sort of bullet drop compensator though.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a leupold Ultimate Slam ML Scope on one of My ACCURA's. So far I put about 120 shots through the Ml and scope and have had no problems with the scope. Im getting 1" 5 shot groups at 100yds using it.
But had I known (should have known better, because I did know) that the scope is set up for a 250gr Bullet using 150gr's of powder and have the scope set on 9 Power to get the scope to work as it's suppos-to. If you dont use this load you'll have to guess as to where to hold using the SABR reticle, and that defeats the pourpose of using the scope, or buying one. For me Im using 105 gr's of Pyrodox RS with a 240gr XTP Mag, so I had to sight in with that load. Then for the marks on the SABR I did this for the scope to work for my load.....I used the circle cross for 100yds, then I seen where my load would hit for the bottom of the circle and noted where I hit. Then for the first black circle I shot to see where I'd hit using that and noted it, and I did the same for the bottom black circle. So my marks are sort of custom settings using the SABR Reticle as I did not use the recommended load. The scope is not for everyone unless you use 150grs of powder and a 250gr Bullet. And their recommended load is way too much powder for your best accuracy and recoli. That's why me using 105grs had to sight in the way I did to be able to use the scope. Why shoot 150grs of powder and have your bullets going all over with no consistant group and having this nice scope makes no sence. Would I buy this scope again, no, I'd buy a regular (non ballistics aiming scope) and sight in 2" high at 50yds and go Hunting, much easier. Also uless you really need to shoot out past 125-150yds, and your using 150gr's of powder and a 250gr bullet then you dont need this scope.
Is it a well built clear scope, yes, is it for everyone, no. Sorry Leupold, nice scope but not user friendly.
(BP)
Old 11-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

I have a leupold 2-7x33 on my ML,its a rifleman,got it on clearance at walmart for $139,I just couldn't pass it up for that.It is my firrst leupold,and I can guarentee you it won't be my last,very nice scopes.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

You are making it way to difficult... Who cares what load they designed the scope for.

Shoot your regular load with the scope on 9x - zero @ 100 yards or in my case I use a 3" Point Blank Range - so I end up shooting a group 2.5 inches high @ 100 that will give me a zero @ 165 yards...

The next thing i do is shoot @ 175 with the main cross hair dead and check for impact. I then repeat the process using the next mark on the scope and note that point of impact. Move the target to 200 and repeat the process. I do one finally shoot @ 225. With that information I am able to use the reticule for my load(s). So in effect it does work for me and I am really happy with it or any of the other ballistic reticule scope that I have.

I still have an Mil-Dot scope that I also used alot - but at this point I do prefer the ballistic reticules in both the U-Slam and my different Bushnell 3200's.

The only ML that I do not have a Ballist reticule on is my Knight DISC - 45 cal. I use the PBR and it also but it shoots the 200 grain Lehigh so flat - it is all the same to 200 yards - that makes it really easy.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Breechplug

You are making it way to difficult... Who cares what load they designed the scope for.

Shoot your regular load with the scope on 9x - zero @ 100 yards or in my case I use a 3" Point Blank Range - so I end up shooting a group 2.5 inches high @ 100 that will give me a zero @ 165 yards...

The next thing i do is shoot @ 175 with the main cross hair dead and check for impact. I then repeat the process using the next mark on the scope and note that point of impact. Move the target to 200 and repeat the process. I do one finally shoot @ 225. With that information I am able to use the reticule for my load(s). So in effect it does work for me and I am really happy with it or any of the other ballistic reticule scope that I have.

I still have an Mil-Dot scope that I also used alot - but at this point I do prefer the ballistic reticules in both the U-Slam and my different Bushnell 3200's.

The only ML that I do not have a Ballist reticule on is my Knight DISC - 45 cal. I use the PBR and it also but it shoots the 200 grain Lehigh so flat - it is all the same to 200 yards - that makes it really easy.
Mike, this is why I had a problem using the scope other than the way I shghted in using my load the same as you did (almost) First Leupold said and I talked to 3 different people there, that you had to use 9power all the time using the SABR Reticle. So say I had a close shot at 20yds, 9 power would be way too much to use as the target would be way too close. So I could'nt sight in the way they said using 9 power, then change it to say 2 power for a close shot as my marks would be off.
They told me that when I change power on the scope the reticle lines, or dots also change from closer to further apart depending on what power you choose. This may be wrong but that's what they told me. So I just picked a power, and in my case used 5 power all the time to sight in, so the SABR reticle lines would'nt change on me. It did'nt seem right to me that they would change with different power settings but that's what I was told.
Are they wrong, I hope so as the scope is way to complicated to do it there way and what they said the scope will do when you change power settings. Now that I have used (my) way to sight in it works good, or is there another way? I hope Leupold is wrong!
(BP)
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.