Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Just bought a new Muzzleloader, need help >

Just bought a new Muzzleloader, need help

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Just bought a new Muzzleloader, need help

Old 11-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Spike

Default Just bought a new Muzzleloader, need help

Hello All,

A member of our church had a TC Scout in .54 that he sold to me at a price I couldn't pass up. Do any of you have any experience with this gun? What loads work best?

Many thanks,
DD80
Old 11-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

Here's the manual, it is a starting point for sure.

http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals...tol_Manual.pdf
Old 11-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

I had a .50 scout but not the .54. Past information I have read is the .54 was difficult to find good accurate loads for. I think the twist is a little different from most .54 muzzleloaders. I did not care for the breechplug/nipple combination which is really not a true breechplug. Since the barrel stops prior to the breechplug it is not easy to run cleaning material like most inlines. It has to be handled more like a sidelock. The nipple is also impossible to find since the rifle is out of production and has been for some time. I considered drilling and tapping the one I had to accept standard nipples so that I could continue to shoot it after the nipple was shot out. They have become somewhat of a collector item but I traded mine and have not felt bad about it since. Sorry if this is not a very positive response but just trying to give you a little background.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

breech plugs come up pretty regular on ebay 15-25$. id get an extra or 2. my buddy has a 50 cal. version. its an early inline type muzzy. i believe its 1-29 twist try some sabots in that gun. maybe maxi hunter bullets too. thompson center should have some info for you. id call them up.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:52 AM
Spike

Default Thanks for your help

Thanks for all your help guys, I do have a couple of extra breech plugs that came with the gun and I am planning to try some maxi-hunters in it as soon as they get here. I'll let yall know how they do. Thanks Again!

DD80
Old 11-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a T/C Renegade in 54, and it clearly preferred the maxiballs over maxihunters, so don't get discouraged if it does not like maxihunters. I always thought the Scout was an interesting gun. Hope you find an acceptable load. I'd be surprised if the Maxiball won't do pretty well over 90-100 grains of Pyrodex RS powder.