Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Normal way to sight in a ml >

Normal way to sight in a ml

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Normal way to sight in a ml

Old 10-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Normal way to sight in a ml

How do you guys sight in a muzzelloader when you get a new one. What size of target do you use what distance and load do you start with.

Also i am taking a welding class and want to make a portable target for shooting. I am thinking about taking a two pieces of rebar and laying them down. Then weld two pieces vertical on the up to 4 feed high. Then running a piece on the top and down about 1 to 2 feet not sure which yet. WOuld you leave the center open on maybe weld some 1/8 inch steel in the middle. The sound would let me know i hit it but is there a issue with a bullet bouncing back and getting me or someone hurt. If i used a plate i could just stick some shoot and sees to it.

I want it portable because the target i set at the range was stolen out of the ground for no reason. I thought it was the dnr but no because they told me it was ok and even said thanks when i did it.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to shoot steel, you cannot use mild steel. Even for a ML I recommend AR400 or better. Even then you should not shoot under 150 yards to make sure you don't get hit by backsplash. I have two AR500 plates on my home range, one at 200 and one at 300 yards.

What I did was mount a sheet of 1" foam board insulation over the open space and I attach paper targets with toothpicks. The foam can take a phenominal amount of shooting before it wears out and is easily replaced (and CHEAP!).

As for sighting in, if I just mounted the scope I start at around 20 yds (I don't boresight). 1-3 shots to get it centered, then back to 50. Take 1 shot, adjust scope correct number of clicks to get to center. Then shoot a single round at 100 yards, and again go appropriate number of clicks to get to center. If it is a new gun so the load accuracy is not known, then I shoot a 3-shot group without adjusting to verify the load is accurate. Then adjust the scope to center on the target.

All in all, I can get pretty much sighted in from scope mounting in 5-6 shots.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Dominant Buck

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/pvctstandc.htm

Here is an easy to make, easy to move, and transport target stand that I made and use. Make it out of 3/4 PVC and it will buck the wind better. If you don't glue it together, it comes apart and fits in almost any car for transport to and from the range.

When I sight in, I start at 13 yards. I do this to set the sight. At this distance you will shoot a hole in three shots. Then move it back to 25 yards and shoot three more. If they are close, then you can move it to where you want and make your final adjustments.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

If you can lay your hands on a couple reality signs. Simplifies a lot extra screwin around. Someone even told me that Lowes sells them, reasonable.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ya i thought about that we have a house for sale sign that is like a reality sign. There was one at the range someone left there one day gone the next. People B**tch about there being trash can glass and pop cans out there b ut when someone setup a target they take it
Originally Posted by gunrac
If you can lay your hands on a couple reality signs. Simplifies a lot extra screwin around. Someone even told me that Lowes sells them, reasonable.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

My guns are sighted in at house with a laser boresighter at 25 feet. The boresight target is one inch in diameter. The range target is a 2" red paster placed on a plain white 2' by 2' target backer at 50 yards. With the laser boresighter the first round is always on the paper at 50 yards. The scope is adjusted to put the bullet in the center of the 2" bull at 50 yards.

A 2" or 3" target paster is put on the target backer at 100 yards and the scope is adjusted so the center of the group is about 2" above point of aim.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Banned

A close 20 yard target thats 2 feet x 2 feet. Somethings ive even missed that when sighting in a new scope on a muzzy!
Old 10-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

A close 20 yard target thats 2 feet x 2 feet.
Its a target backer. One has to put a target on the backer. i put it at 50 yards to start.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I too sight in at 13 yards. It's real easy if you're using a scope, and have two people and a good rest. Take one shot. Then one guy holds the gun very steady sighted dead center on the bull. Then, without allowing the gun to move, the other guy adjusts the crosshairs until they move to the bullet hole. The gun is now sighted dead on at 13 yards. Take one more shot at 13 yards and the bullet should hit dead center. (If the holder allowed the gun to move during the scope adjustment you may have to fine tune it by repeating the process.) Now move out to 50 yards. It will probably be an inch or two high and dead-on for windage.

As for target stands, we use those real estate signs. Actually, after each political election in our area every club members collects a bunch of those "Vote For This Idiot" signs that litter the roadside. We use spring clothespins to attach targets to the plastic signs.

Last edited by Semisane; 10-28-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

Semi's idea X's 2 Works great, and the $ is next to nothing!!