Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Getting ready for moose............. >

Getting ready for moose.............

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Getting ready for moose.............

Old 10-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default Getting ready for moose.............

Will be heading North for moose,elk and Wt deer in 3 weeks or so.Went out shooting my .54 Renegade last night.Will likely be using my GM 1-70" with homecast balls and 100gr FFG should do the job? Or would it be more prudent to use the factory 1-48 with maxi-balls and 90gr FFG? Shot a mulie with the ball load last fall.....................Harold
Old 10-08-2009, 05:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

With the PRB be sure to take a broadside shot only. Personally I have use 120gr [which is what groupped best in my 54 Hawken custom made]. with good results.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Either of them should work just fine. It is hard to beat a .54 caliber ball. But I would take the rifle that gives the best accurary with the greatest range to it. Then just place my shot. Good luck and please keep us posted. Sounds like you have a lot of hunting to do.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pioneer2

If'n it were me and I know it is probably to late, but i would load up the 1/48 with 90 grains of T7-3f, then a .510 x .125 Shot Card and either a 460 Bull Shop conical or a 460 No Excuse Conical.

But when it gets right down to it your listed load has done the job in the past for a lot of people - just reduce the range as much as possible and put it in the right spot.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Banned

go with the round ball. Be an outlaw!