Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Just name one

Old 10-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Just name one

Hi Guys complete greenhorn when it comes to Muzzleloaders. I want to stay around or under $400. I want the very best bang for the buck. Needs to be simple but most of the new ones seem to be that for cleaning. Accurate and user friendly. TC Z5 kit on sale at Cabelas for $339 or the Triumph for $399 on sale. Is there something else that would be better for the price? No scope will be going on it so I need good open sights. What about the Traditions or CVA? I don't completely trust Cabelas or Gander Mountain to give me a honest answer. Just keep it simple and let me know what you would recommend not because you have one, but because you think it would be the best for a first time muzzleloader hunter. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Dominant Buck

It appears you want an inline, so I would look at the Triumph or the CVA Accura. Other then that, none of the new ones even interest me.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

CVA Accura in stainless with black fleck stock. Also buy a good range rod while you are ordering. http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=PR3100S

or buy my extra Accura if you prefer the ss/camo stock. I wouldn't sell it but I just bought a CVA Apex and have another Accura (ss/black).
Old 10-07-2009, 02:31 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

the triumph is a great choice.the knight vision from sportsmans guide is another and it's only 200.00$......karl
Old 10-07-2009, 02:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Knight is out of business. Great gun by all stories.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:21 AM
Spike

Knight Disc Extreme $178.00 New in Box - on Gun Broker Excellent Rifle Fantastic deal Great open sights Feels like Centerfire Rifle to the shoulder !
Old 10-07-2009, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would go and shoulder a few before you decide for sure. I really like the triumph, but it was designed for a scope and when I've shouldered it I didn't think it felt that great. Where are you at in MN?
Old 10-07-2009, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

[quote=SuperKirby;3465922]I would go and shoulder a few before you decide for sure. I really like the triumph, but it was designed for a scope and when I've shouldered it I didn't think it felt that great.

Exactly right. It's not a good fit without a scope.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Where are you at in MN?
Im in the Annandale area just west of the Twin Cities.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I suggest you try shouldering the Triumph it is very good for the price and for accuracy there is nothing better, The one thing you might want to consider is that the high comb is designed for use of a scope. The Omega is best for iron sights and some states have laws requiring them.
Should always check the laws which you will be hunting under some states have laws that relate to politicians misconceptions rather than whats actually needed.
As far as Knight is concerned they are going cheap because the company has shut down, unless some one buys and restarts it there will come a time when you might not be able to get what you need. I sold the only one I had to a friend thats been borrowing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.