Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Not opinions just facts. >

Not opinions just facts.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Not opinions just facts.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Not opinions just facts.

I got involved in a small confrontation today at the sporting goods store. Go figure

There is no way possible to say that BH209 is the same cost or comparable to 777. Folks.... sorry it's not even close. From one zip code to the next 777 is all over the map on pricing. I actually have no idea why. I decided to go with online purchasing to be fair. I like to buy BH209 at Powder Valley. Why, because it's the cheapest place for me. And yes i will pay a hazmat fee. As you can see BH209 is $26.95 plus hazmat for 10 ounces of powder. http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Now i take a look at 777 powder in both ffg and fffg. The price listed is $18.40 a pound (16 ounces) plus hazmat fee. You do the math. Not only is 777 almost $9.00 bucks a bottle cheaper, you get an extra 6 ounces as well. That's almost a half pound extra. As you can see, 777 is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy cheaper per shot comparing apples to apples.

Now dont get me wrong, i much rather shoot Bh209 for a few reasons. But i also realize i'm paying more to do so. I also know BH209 is a better powder for me. But, i can also achieve the same thing i do with BH209 with 777 ffg or even fffg. Or atleast the animal wont know the difference.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Too bad Barack is so busy trying to sell a Federal health care monopoly to the uninformed, because what we need a "community organizer" to deal with the BlackHorn problem.

I would bet something amazing would happen if everyone who is now using BH would quit buying the stuff immediately and send an e-mail to the "contact us" address on the BH web page ([email protected]) saying "I love BH but I will no longer buy it until there is a full pound of powder in the canister and the price is reduced to a reasonable level."
Old 09-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Dominant Buck

It is the one reason I do not shoot much BlackHorn 209. When my brother can find it at Cabela's and then I don't have to pay the hazmat fee, its still more expensive but something I am willing to accept.

But I shoot too much. And for that reason, I shoot black powder, pyrodex and triple seven.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Fork Horn

38.00 for last jug of BH209 they had in town . They are not going to get anymore . Its 24.00 for 777 ( $ 14.00 dollars cheaper ) and i can find it at every gun shop . Man , for the price i pay for 777 its like buying two and getting the third one free , but cheaper , compared to BH209 .
Old 09-12-2009, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

FACTS:

BH209 costs $29.99 a bottle at the Cabela's here in town.

BH209 is not hygroscopic.

BH209 individual grains are uniform top to bottom in the bottle.

BH209 meters smoothly through a Redding 3-BR powder measure, and the thrown charges are virtually identical in weight.

BH209 is reliable whilst hunting in all conditions, which includes rain, snow, and extreme...........extreme cold, a way below zero.

BH209 is accurate.

BH209 produces consistent and high velocity.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:36 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
FACTS:

BH209 costs $29.99 a bottle at the Cabela's here in town.

BH209 is not hygroscopic.

BH209 individual grains are uniform top to bottom in the bottle.

BH209 meters smoothly through a Redding 3-BR powder measure, and the thrown charges are virtually identical in weight.

BH209 is reliable whilst hunting in all conditions, which includes rain, snow, and extreme...........extreme cold, a way below zero.

BH209 is accurate.

BH209 produces consistent and high velocity.

Facts Continued

I use a Non-BH209=Cheaper, powder to work up my loads at the range. And then fine tune with BH209=Black Gold.

That way I can still buy shoes and groceries for the family
Old 09-12-2009, 03:44 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Too bad Barack is so busy trying to sell a Federal health care monopoly to the uninformed, because what we need a "community organizer" to deal with the BlackHorn problem.

I would bet something amazing would happen if everyone who is now using BH would quit buying the stuff immediately and send an e-mail to the "contact us" address on the BH web page ([email protected]) saying "I love BH but I will no longer buy it until there is a full pound of powder in the canister and the price is reduced to a reasonable level."
Semi

This would SO work! I elect you as "our" community organizer for this grass roots effort

Old 09-12-2009, 03:57 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane

Message sent
Old 09-12-2009, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Give us the specifics on the confrontation Tom.... What happened?
Old 09-12-2009, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess a lot of it is in your view point. For me with crud ring that I have with 777 I have to spend 5 minutes scrubbing and brushing between each shot. I will never shot that stuff again. Now Pyrodex is a good powder I used it for many years and still like it, and use it in some guns, it just takes a bit more to get the same results. I guess I am amazed at all the crying over a couple of dollars, if you don't like it you don't have to buy it, if you are not going to buy it why cry? Lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.