Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
T/C Shockwave Bullets? >

T/C Shockwave Bullets?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Shockwave Bullets?

Old 09-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Spike

Default T/C Shockwave Bullets?

Anyone have any experience shooting the T/C Shockwave with the super glide sabots and the bonded bullets? I put a new scope on my ML and had some of the older shockwaves (250gr) with the black sabot (non bonded bullet) on that I used to get my gun hitting close, however, I didn't have enough of these to last. So...I go to the dealer and am told that the super glide sabots (yellow) would add a little downrange distance. I'm headed to Kansas in a few weeks so I thought this would be helpful. To make a long story short, I purchased the super glide in the same grain as I had been shooting. After shooting 10 shots with the gun on a shooting bench and locked down, these bullets were everywhere! The gun was cleaned between every shot with no consistency. So I go back and purchase the 250gr non-bonded bullets with the black sabots and they are shooting deadly groups at 150 yds. After getting the gun sighted in, I noticed something. Walking down from where I was shooting, the black sabots were all lying appx. 10 yards downrange all relatively all together. These sabots have 4 fins like a shotgun wad and all were opened perfectly. After finding this, I walked further down to try and find the yellow super glide sabots. They were scattered anywhere from 20 yds to as far as 60 yards downrange. These sabots only have two fins and I'm assuming aren't designed to open as the bullet leaves them because none were. Half of them, however were missing one of the fins with a few missing both. I cannot help but think that this is the reason for their inaccuracy. Maybe I'm missing something, but the 5$ a box cheaper regular Shockwaves seem to be the more trustworty bullet. So I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with the super glides and how they shot?
Old 09-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

The store owner sold you a line of crap. You do not get extra distance from a superglide (ie looser) sabot.

The superglides came out because the regulars, black sabots, are very very tight in some guns. In fact, in both of my Omegas, I only tried loading them ONCE as the first one took a hammer to get it seated. The superglides are a little smaller and are the answer for the tight-bored guns.

My opinion that I am sure will get some agreement on here is that guns tend to shoot best with the tightest sabot you can comfortably load. In other words if you don't need the sueprglides, don't use them. If they are too loose, they will not be accurate both due to inconsistent pressure built upon ignition, wobble in the bore, or poor engagement of the rifling.

Some sabots have 2 petals, some have 4. Makes no difference, and neither does how many petals are torn off as the bullet is long gone when this happens. My Omega X7 shoots the 2-petal sabots on the 300gr bullets very very well.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Spaniel, much agreement, it takes a very tight barrel to use super glide sabots in fact they will not work in any of my guns because the ones that had a tight barrel I lapped out to.500.
A good rule of thumb is if your gun shoots the black sabot well it will throw the super glides all over. Lee
If you think your gun shoots well with the supplied sabot then try the Short Black Harvester they can be awesome with SW250 gr bullets.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Going back threw some notes i did notice the super glide sabots did increase velocity. But, i have never had any luck with them in several muzzleloaders. The guy probably meant to say more velocity equals better down range performance. I don't disagree as long as the bullet/sabot combination is accurate.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

My Encore shoots Shockwaves/SST bullets best with the tight fitting red or the black sabots: It makes <1" to 1.25" three shot groups at 100 yards using those sabots. The Hornady Easy Load sabots make groups of 2-3". The Super Glides throw the bullets all over the place.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

the T/C Shockwave are made by HORNADY ..HORNADY SST bullets are the same only difference is they have a red nylon tip .. cheaper where i live so for practice thats what i use..most ML like a tight load for accuracy.... high velocity in ML leads to fliers ..
Old 09-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

In my Omega superglides group around 1.5". The black sabot shoots .75-1.00" at 100 yards. What's easier to load is usually not the best choice. In this case cheaper is better.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

My buddy tried the superglides in his gun thinking he was using the same old sabot/bullet combo as before when he was using the regular black sabot and 250 grain bullet. Needless to say he was getting groups all over the place. You just have to shoot them to see how they will work in your gun. I'm sure everyone here has heard it, but you have to treat every barrel different b/c each one has a different personality.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Heinz 57
The lead in the FTX-SSt is harder you have to up the velocity a bunch to get them to open right. The SW with the hard Yellow plastic work well at 1600 to 1800 FPS [they will shoot very accurate at higher velocity but tend to come apart] The newer FTX and FTX-SST has enough harder lead that it takes 2100 or 2200 just to get them to open right. Lee
Old 09-24-2009, 05:15 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot the shockwave superglides 250gr(not sure if they come in another grain?)with 100gr triple seven through my traditions pursuit. Love it, wont switch