Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Newbie to the ML World >

Newbie to the ML World

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Newbie to the ML World

Old 08-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Spike

Default Newbie to the ML World

Hey guys, I just couldn't resist temptation anymore and went out and bought a T/C Omega Z5 with the weather shield barrel and Realtree Hardwood camo stock...looks fantastic. I'm going to be mounting a Bushnell Legend scope on it and can't wait to get out and shoot it.

I've hunted the past couple falls with a 30-06 and I'm curious to know what kind of comparison recoil-wise the Omega will have compared to an '06. I normally shoot a 150 grain round out of the '06 and will be using a 250 bullet out of the Omega. I'm assuming there's a big difference between two and three triple 7 pellets.

I'm loving the idea that my deer season just got extended by over a month! I can't wait to drop my first big Saskatchewan whitey with the Omega!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Dominant Buck

I never felt the 30-06 or a muzzleloader kicked all that bad. I think you will find it more then acceptable. Congratulations on a fine rifle.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

With a 250gr bullet, 100gr powder should kick lighter and 150gr powder may kick a little heavier. I have to shoot a 325gr bullet with 135gr powder to feel a kick close to my 300WM.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:16 AM
Spike

Default Thanks

Right on....thanks guys. I don't mind the recoil of my '06. I'm 6'4" and weigh 225lbs so I can handle it. I was really wondering if there's a big difference between 100 and 150 grains of powder.

I can't wait to get out and shoot the Omega. I've heard so much about hunting with ML's and it's been a long time coming!!! Hopefully I'll be posting some pics of a nice big Saskatchewan whitetail this fall!
Old 08-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Mine has never been an issue of kick, but rather accuracy. I always seem to get better accuracy with two pellets rather then three. Congratulations on the rifle. You have just started an impossible addiction, but it sure is fun. Report back to us on the gun, load, etc... and let us know how everything is going.

Only advice: Keep your routine (cleaning, loading, powder amounts, seating pressure, etc...) from shot to shot as consistent as possible. Then you can change one thing (i.e. up the powder charge) and know the exact result.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great choice!I was one of the first to buy an Omega when they came out.It's a great shooter.I especially like that in my case at least I don't need a fouling shot.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome to BP. I started with pellets and went to loose powder so I could fine tune my load. I then went to a BP sub call BH209. With my load, the kick is just a whisker more than my 30.06. Im not as big as you. 5'10" 175lbs but the kick doesnt bother me. I do get a little brusing if I shoot 20 or so rounds. A little sore on my next range day but after the first shot, I forget all about it. Have fun.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

Just as with centre fire rifles your best accuracy load is not necessarily your max load. Experimenting with loose powder is a fun way to find out just what load performs best in your rifle. Pellets are over priced and their so called convenience is not really true. You have all the time in the world to load. Reloading for a second shot is dreaming in technicolour. The challenge of BP is that missing is not an option. The first shot is your only chance. Pre-measuring powder in Lane's tubes gives you the speed advantage back but it still won't give you a second shot in an acceptable time frame.