Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Cleaning .25ACP Brass >

Cleaning .25ACP Brass

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning .25ACP Brass

Old 08-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Cleaning .25ACP Brass

FULL DISCLOSURE: This is stolen from poster Mark Whiz on Modern Muzzleloader, but I'm not feeling real guilty because it's too good to not pass along.

In response to a post asking for guidance on cleaning .25ACP brass, Mark Whiz posted the following.

A quick way of cleaning brass (since you don't have the usual handloader equipment like a tumbler) is to soak it in a bowl of Cider Vinegar for 20 to 30 minutes, swishing occassionally, swab out the inside with a Q-tip and rinse well in clean water, then dry. I clean my pistol brass this way from time to time to clean out the case insides and primer pockets. Keeps 'em pretty shiney as well.
Well, I tried it myself with plain white vinegar and it worked great - even better than my vibratory case cleaner. So well, in fact, that I'm going to add a four ounce plastic bottle filled with vinegar to my shooting box so I can drop the freshly fired cases in it right at the shooting bench.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

I second your last post - i had to try it also - it worked great....
Old 08-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Spike

Are you doing this to not tumble your brass or to cut down on how often you have to change or add brass polish to the media?
Old 08-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Semi

I second your last post - i had to try it also - it worked great....

Same here !!

Sure can't beat the price either !!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by davemhughes
Are you doing this to not tumble your brass or to cut down on how often you have to change or add brass polish to the media?
I needed something to clean the brass for my .25 acp conversion i use in my Encore . Just soak them in the A.C.V and dry and re-prime and your good to go . No tumbler or polish needed !!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Typical Buck

(trying not to stumble while taking my bows)

davemhughes:
This was just a quick way to clean the brass for those without a tumbler. And since we're only talking about just a few pieces of brass for their ignition systems - that ain't enough to fire up the tumbler for anyway. And this works really well for getting the inside of the case clean, which tumblers have never done to my satisfaction..................and like Rob said - you sure can't beat the price.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mark whiz

davemhughes:
This was just a quick way to clean the brass for those without a tumbler. And since we're only talking about just a few pieces of brass for their ignition systems - that ain't enough to fire up the tumbler for anyway. And this works really well for getting the inside of the case clean, which tumblers have never done to my satisfaction..................and like Rob said - you sure can't beat the price.
Tumbling those tiny brass stinks. Getting the media stuck inside, and the inside isn't cleaned anyways. I like this idea.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:39 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mark whiz

davemhughes:
Gotcha, I figured it was something along those lines but wanted to ask. I know acetic acid can be used on all sorts of things from A to Z.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

[quote=Semisane;3419831]FULL DISCLOSURE: This is stolen from poster Mark Whiz on Modern Muzzleloader, but I'm not feeling real guilty because it's too good to not pass along.

Thats real nice of you Semi. I remember the good old days when RW claimed everything he posted was under copywrite LOL

I am going to try this also since I already know it works. Thanks to you and mark

Charlie
Old 08-27-2009, 04:08 AM
Fork Horn

I just soooo don't miss MR''full of him self '' RW and his never ending anti-Spanish made Muzzle loaders rants and grudge !! I am so glad he's not on this sites . If he was, i would NOT come there !!

[quote=Chasam60;3421166]
Originally Posted by Semisane
FULL DISCLOSURE: This is stolen from poster Mark Whiz on Modern Muzzleloader, but I'm not feeling real guilty because it's too good to not pass along.

Thats real nice of you Semi. I remember the good old days when RW claimed everything he posted was under copywrite LOL

I am going to try this also since I already know it works. Thanks to you and mark

Charlie