Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Vent Liner - Breech Plug Project... >

Vent Liner - Breech Plug Project...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Vent Liner - Breech Plug Project...

Old 08-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Vent Liner - Breech Plug Project...

Well since I retired again! and I am suppose to have more time - I tackled my next project... installing a Savage type vent liner in a Breech Plug - preferrably a BP that has been burned out. I got a selection of vent liners from Grouse last week.

Problem... I do not have any burned out BP's like that so I took a brand new Omega BP to a friends Machine Shop - explained to him my problem and my thoughts and he said lets go do it.

I thought he would take it to a drill press and complete the work, but he chose to put it on a lathe as he wanted every thing to be parrallel and he wanted to match the contour of the bottom of the Vent liner with a simular detent in the bottom of the breech plug.

After he took his measurements and got the information he needed he chucked the BP and went to work. It actually took him longer to chuck up the BP than it did to create the VL pocket in the BP, drill out the flash channel, then run a 10/32 tap in the new flash channel. He estimated the next one would take him 15 minutes - start to finish. I am still sure you could do almost as well on a good drill press - think Lee proved that.

The flash hole in the 'Domed' Lehigh liner is .032 and the one in the flat Savage is very very close to the same. I am actually thinking the domed liner might provide less blow back.

Now, if the weather would cool down I would run out to the farm and give it a try. Might be a few days. But I am convinced this is the way to salvage BP's - buying vent liners is a lot cheaper than buying BP's.

If this works as well as I think it might grab a new Knight plug and do the same thing...

Here are some pictures of the project...

Hope this helps explain the project....

Last edited by sabotloader; 08-21-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a easy fix for worn out breech plugs. Especially the speed breech plugs from T/C. $34.95 at my local shop. And also the plugs that are having problems igniting BH209.

Did you drill the flame channel the whole way through the plug? I think that is a must and will now guarantee BH209 ignition with most plugs when that is done.

Nice job and thanks for the report. I have a couple worn out plugs i might just try this with.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Tom,

Did you drill the flame channel the whole way through the plug? I think that is a must and will now guarantee BH209 ignition with most plugs when that is done.
It is drilled and tapped all the way through, the same as a Rem 700ml Breech Plug.

I am really thinking that Spitpatch is correct in his assesment of the Vision BP having the larger 'flash channel' allows more room for expansion and therefore less blowback out.

This is an interesting assesment from another forum about the project...

I think in a rifle like an Omega the domed area around the flash hole would be the way to go. If you have ever looked into the mechanics of an explosion for demolition purposes you evidently understand the ideas behind focused explosive pressures. What your saying goes right along with all those thoughts.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:43 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

excellant!!!
Old 08-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Grouse, if you think the Triumph speed BP is high then price the Endeavor speed BP the only difference is the cut out for the 209 extractor and the price.
Sabotloader, well I did the Triumph and you have done the Omega I will be doing the Endeavor as soon as the plug on mine shows much wear.
Did you notice any thing in particular while the machining was going on? I did and I was not a bit thrilled by it.
Do you think all or most breach plugs are adaptable to this conversion?
Old 08-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

Did you notice any thing in particular while the machining was going on?
The only thing that really stuck me is the ease of the operation. I thought for sure the plug metal would be harder.

Do you think all or most breach plugs are adaptable to this conversion?
At this point I would say MOST are. I have a fellow shooter sending me 2 Knight FPJ breech plugs - I am going to Vent Liner them also.

I will also sacrafice one of my home made Omega 25 acp plugs to install a Lehigh liner - I am very that will work also.

I have not taken a really close look at my Triumph Speed breech as to how I might do one of them. There is no doubt that the liner can be installed - I am just not sure of how far in the drill and tap might go.

Guess my next step is I need to order some liners from Lehigh Dave to continue my testing.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mike, that's what I thought to: it cut awful easy,I guess they like to sell lots of breach plugs.
Not complaining though, easy to install a vent liner of some sort, I do believe the Savage vent liners could be improved on though. I wish I had not sold my forge now.
The vent liners are awful small to put Teflon tape on are you going to try?
I do have a couple of Omega spare breach plugs, they are new, but we may do one any way. I have been looking for a small case that uses a large rifle or pistol primer[they are the same size] I am thinking about using one in an Omega plug, if I can come up with one I like. Lee
Old 08-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lee,
These are much better then the Savage liners from Savage.

http://www.lehighbullets.com/products.asp?cat=25
Old 08-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

The vent liners are awful small to put Teflon tape on are you going to try?
That is the big UNKNOWN for me right now... At this point I am going to grease them as I do the Remington nipple. The breech plug will still go in with tape only.

Go to the Lehigh Bullet site and look at those Savage style liners...

http://www.lehighbullets.com/products.asp?cat=25

I honestly believe they will out perform the savage style liner - (same thread pattern) - these are hardened with a .032 flash hole.

I have an email into Lehigh Dave right now should talk to him next week - I need to get some more as a fellow on MM is sending me two FPJ's to work over. I am thinking it might even reduce the blowback in a FPJ some.

+ there might be one more product development up Dave's sleeve that may be an answer - I need to talk to him about it.

Soft BP's...

that's what I thought to: it cut awful easy,I guess they like to sell lots of breach plugs.
That may be the way of doing things right now... if you pass on the hardening process - it will be less expensive and yes you will sale more spare parts. Doc White once told me I would need to wear out the barrel on one of his whites to wear out the BP - His BP's were hardened to 33 or 43 on the scale can't remember exactly what he said - anyway I guess that is on the hard side.

Last edited by sabotloader; 08-22-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

Got an email for a reliable source this morning... at one point the Omega plugs were 416ss and had been hardened... Guess that answers that question...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.