Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
BIG BORE guns 58cal and up >

BIG BORE guns 58cal and up

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BIG BORE guns 58cal and up

Old 08-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Spike

Default BIG BORE guns 58cal and up

I was wondering if there are any of my fellow big bore shooters out there? I have had no problems with my 58cal it is a Enfild1853. There been a few guy's that I have hunted with .That say it's time to up grade, buy stepping down to a 50. For the flater, faster, gun. I would like a few opinions about this. Keep in mind please 63gR of fff with 525 gR buffalo bullet = 1305fps holds a 4 inch group at 200yds and has always passed through deer.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:52 AM
Fork Horn

I also use a 58 caliber. It is a custom that I built myself. It has a flint ignition and a Green Mountain barrel. I shoot patched round ballsover 90gr of GOEX 3-f.
The thing that I like about using the large bore is that it leaves a nice size exit hole. If the deer runs it leaves a nice blood trail.

From what you say about the performance you are getting from your rifle and load, I believe that you have a winning combo that will do nicely for any large game in North America.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:39 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by vann338
I was wondering if there are any of my fellow big bore shooters out there? I have had no problems with my 58cal it is a Enfild1853. There been a few guy's that I have hunted with .That say it's time to up grade, buy stepping down to a 50. For the flater, faster, gun. I would like a few opinions about this. Keep in mind please 63gR of fff with 525 gR buffalo bullet = 1305fps holds a 4 inch group at 200yds and has always passed through deer.
I shoot a .58 T/C Renegade. It is my go to gun for any big game hunt. I have taken deer, boar, and bear with it, and see no reason to change. That 525 gr. bullet at 1305 will drop just about anything in North America like the hammer of Thor. I use 60 gr. with the same weight bullet, and have sent numerous amimals to the freezer with it.
I think that going to a .50 would be a step down rather than up. The .58 may not be as fast, but it sure does penetrate a lot better. Takes a whole lot to stop that huge slug.
Just my opinion.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:37 AM
mountaineer magic

I have a Pedersoli 58 cal double barrel that I use to hunt with. I haven't shot it for about a year. You are right about the performance. Anything standing in front of it when it goes off isn't going to go far. I just got to liking my Lyman Great Plains in 54 cal. much better , so I use it for a traditional hunt most of the time, although I have a Hawken with the sharpshooter barrel I want to try this year..I use Inlines during rifle season. Talking about the 58 cal. makes me want to get it out and mess with it some though. With the performance you get from your 58 cal. I wouldn't worry about what someone thinks. If it shoots good and you like it , stick with it. Going to a 50. cal wouldn't be an upgrade unless you consider saboted bullets. fast twist barrels , inlines , stuff like that as an upgrade. In my opinion it's a different category of black powder not an upgrade. Each has it's strong points. The old worn out traditional v/s modern argument doesn't hold water in my book. It's like comparing apples with oranges.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have a Zouave '63 repo and nerver thought to use it in the woods. I am happy with my .54 cal. Hawkens Carbine, but I may end up trying the .58 ca. this year. I just had a new front and rear sight installed and am in the process of getting it all sighted in. As of now it is shooting nicely at 50 yds and I am getting ready to start setting it up for 100 yds.

If I get it all sighted in I may take it into the woods this year!!!
Old 08-16-2009, 08:01 AM
Dominant Buck

I shoot a .58 caliber 1-70 twist Green Mountian Barrel on my Renegade. With 110 grains of 2f black powder and a patched ball, I see nothing that I could not hunt. I hunt deer with it on occassion. I have never been concerned that I could not harvest one with it.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love my 58cal! I dont know if I could ever step down to a 50cal. I have a 54cal but I dont shoot it much. I just love my 58cal so much. I shoot a patched roundball with 120gr Goex FFG.

I think you have a great load going with that accuracy. I would keep on shootin that!

Good Luck

Kirk