HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - BIG BORE guns 58cal and up
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 05:37 AM
mountaineer magic

I have a Pedersoli 58 cal double barrel that I use to hunt with. I haven't shot it for about a year. You are right about the performance. Anything standing in front of it when it goes off isn't going to go far. I just got to liking my Lyman Great Plains in 54 cal. much better , so I use it for a traditional hunt most of the time, although I have a Hawken with the sharpshooter barrel I want to try this year..I use Inlines during rifle season. Talking about the 58 cal. makes me want to get it out and mess with it some though. With the performance you get from your 58 cal. I wouldn't worry about what someone thinks. If it shoots good and you like it , stick with it. Going to a 50. cal wouldn't be an upgrade unless you consider saboted bullets. fast twist barrels , inlines , stuff like that as an upgrade. In my opinion it's a different category of black powder not an upgrade. Each has it's strong points. The old worn out traditional v/s modern argument doesn't hold water in my book. It's like comparing apples with oranges.