Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Getting in some range time >

Getting in some range time

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Getting in some range time

Old 08-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Getting in some range time

Due to knee surgery a couple weeks ago, I have not been shooting much because of limited mobility. BUT the doctor told me now I should take short walks often during the day. Nothing too far, just to stretch out the muscles more. Well I figured 35 yards one way, and 35 yards back would be a short distance. Especially if you did it several times in the afternoon. So I decided to shoot to day.

I used my stainless steel Wolverine LK-93 with the 22 in barrel. The rifle has a 1x32mm Traditions scope. (since no magnification is required for our muzzleloader season). Since most my shots in the woods are under 50 yards and normally 30, I set the target at 35 yards.

The rifle normally likes 85 grains of Triple Seven 2f. I have been testing different sabots and the Hornady 250 grain XTP in the rifle. Today I used the Harvester EZ load sabots. And like their name they were a pleasure to load down the barrel. The rifle was set up for clean bore shooting and to be dead center on the first shot. After that it does move a little, and I knew that.

I was real pleased with that. And after following doctor's orders and taking another short walk, I cleaned the barrel very well with Rusty Duck Black Off. I then upped the charge to 90 grains of Triple Seven 2f and the same bullet and sabot.

Again, that little rifle is a shooter. But that being off to the left just a hair bothers me. So I took a short walk, checked the target, came back, swabbed the bore between each shot, but gave the scope six clicks to the right.

I might have went too far. The 90 grains of powder was holding true, but I then clicked the scope three clicks back. I swabbed the bore clean, followed the doctors orders for pictures and to check the target of course, then decide to do one more shot for the day.

This time I loaded up 100 grains of Triple Seven 2f and the same bullet and sabot. I had swabbed the barrel pretty clean again, so I was curious as to where this was going to hit this time. It was hot out, and I don't like heat, so I wanted to shoot.

I picked out a small turkey picture in the bottom corner. And squeezed off the shot. 100 grains in this light stock Wolverine can get your attention, but where the shot hit also got my attention. I figured enough for today. I had fun, got my walks in, and wanted to get back into the cool house.. Not too bad on the turkey. But again, this is only 35 yards. I would expect no less.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great shooting Dave and great rehab! I hope your knee feels better sooner than later.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good shooting Dave
Old 08-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Glad you got to do some "doctor's orders" shooting Cayugad. Good results as usual. Have you ever shot any 200 grain 40 caliber bullets out of that 1:32 twist in a 50/40 sabot?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Dominant Buck

No I have not shot any of them yet. They are next on the list.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting.Hope you get better soon.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

I have tried 6 other bullets and always end up going back to a .300 grain Xtp . I just can't find anything i like better .
Old 08-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Rob.. I am kind of in the same boat. I have bullets from about every manufacturer at my house. I shoot them in different rifles and test them in different medium to see how they react. But when I want to "shoot" I head back to a Hornady XTP. Usually a 300 or 250 gr. I find they are a very consistent bullet, and easy on the budget.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

The XTP usually shoots well, the only rifle I have had that did not like XTP's is the Triumph, for some unknown reason I can get it to shoot most bullets but it just don't like XTP's the new Endeavor does though and that's good because I still have about 350 of the 250gr XTP to use up. They shoot the same POI in the Endeavor as the Gold Dot, the Lehigh, and the Shock Wave at 100yds. That makes it easy to have a choice, the only thing I don't like about the Endeavor is that all the 200gr 50/40 shoot about 5 inches high from where I usually have the sights set, the Triumph does that too. Lee
Old 08-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Well it was 94šs today but the humidity was not too bad. So I grabbed a flintlock and headed out side. All my walking yesterday made last night a little uncomfortable on the knee, so I decided to just stay in the yard on level grass. I set up at 25 yards. Put an orange Birchwood Casey sticky dot on a box, and hammered it with my .50 caliber Traditions Woodsman Hawkins. My binoculars served me well instead of walking back and fourth.

It amazes me how fast ignition is with a flintlock with a good agate, and a hot dry day. I swear I could not hear the hammer ignite the pan it was that fast. And with Graf's powder that little Traditions rifle shot perfect. According to my notes, with today's shooting, I have 41 ignitions off this T/C agate. That's actually pretty impressive. And it still looks real good.

No need to post a picture as I shot that dot so many times it just finally pushed through the box. The rifle is sighted in at 24 yards and it was dead on today. But I had fun, other then the sweat running behind my glasses into my eyes. That sweat stings pretty good when your trying to aim.

I shot twenty shots and decided the cool house was a better place to go for a while. So I went in, cleaned that rifle, (and those of you that think an inline is easier to clean then a traditional.. I'd argue that), and made some ice coffee (addicted to coffee). Overall it was a fun day shooting. Just to be outside, make smoke, throw lead and get out of that house!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.