HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Getting in some range time
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 02:57 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default Getting in some range time

Due to knee surgery a couple weeks ago, I have not been shooting much because of limited mobility. BUT the doctor told me now I should take short walks often during the day. Nothing too far, just to stretch out the muscles more. Well I figured 35 yards one way, and 35 yards back would be a short distance. Especially if you did it several times in the afternoon. So I decided to shoot to day.

I used my stainless steel Wolverine LK-93 with the 22 in barrel. The rifle has a 1x32mm Traditions scope. (since no magnification is required for our muzzleloader season). Since most my shots in the woods are under 50 yards and normally 30, I set the target at 35 yards.

The rifle normally likes 85 grains of Triple Seven 2f. I have been testing different sabots and the Hornady 250 grain XTP in the rifle. Today I used the Harvester EZ load sabots. And like their name they were a pleasure to load down the barrel. The rifle was set up for clean bore shooting and to be dead center on the first shot. After that it does move a little, and I knew that.

I was real pleased with that. And after following doctor's orders and taking another short walk, I cleaned the barrel very well with Rusty Duck Black Off. I then upped the charge to 90 grains of Triple Seven 2f and the same bullet and sabot.

Again, that little rifle is a shooter. But that being off to the left just a hair bothers me. So I took a short walk, checked the target, came back, swabbed the bore between each shot, but gave the scope six clicks to the right.

I might have went too far. The 90 grains of powder was holding true, but I then clicked the scope three clicks back. I swabbed the bore clean, followed the doctors orders for pictures and to check the target of course, then decide to do one more shot for the day.

This time I loaded up 100 grains of Triple Seven 2f and the same bullet and sabot. I had swabbed the barrel pretty clean again, so I was curious as to where this was going to hit this time. It was hot out, and I don't like heat, so I wanted to shoot.

I picked out a small turkey picture in the bottom corner. And squeezed off the shot. 100 grains in this light stock Wolverine can get your attention, but where the shot hit also got my attention. I figured enough for today. I had fun, got my walks in, and wanted to get back into the cool house.. Not too bad on the turkey. But again, this is only 35 yards. I would expect no less.