Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
jim shockey ffg loose powder >

jim shockey ffg loose powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

jim shockey ffg loose powder

Old 07-27-2009, 07:17 AM
Spike

Default jim shockey ffg loose powder

has anyone used this powder if so how did it work out I got a free can of it today from a gun shop that is going to start carring it and they asked me to try it and let them know
Old 07-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

I tried it last year. I have only used about a 1/3 of the can. I am new to muzzle loading as of last year. What drew me in was the no need to swab between shots. In my Optima Elite however, I was only able to load about two consecutive with the 200gr Shockwaves before I couldn't load another. I did come up with a load at 90gr that shot a 1.5" group at 100yds. I just started spit a dry patching after everyshot though. The grains of the powder are not consistent at all. I just tried BH209 this past weekend and don't think I'll go to anything else. Now I have about 2/3 a can of Shockeys to either give away or shoot up.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shot it for about 2 years its weak compared to 777,Pyrodex and BH209, it was nice in the sense that I could shoot 25 or 30 shots before I cleaned. But it attracts moisture and after I had to throw away a can I decided to switch to BH209. Lee
Old 07-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here are some 5-shot velocity averages I got over the chronograph with my Mustang and 385 grain Hornady Great Plains bullets. All loads were 90 grain volume.

Triple 7 FFFG - 1583 fps
Pyrodex RS - 1144 fps
Jim Shockey Gold FFG - 1018 fps

However, the JSG gave me the tightest 100 yard group with that load.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

JSG is a very good clean burning powder. It is not as powerful as Pyrodex or 777 but it is one heck of a lot cleaner. JSG likes a tight fitting sabot seated very hard
on the powder. Some of my best groups were made with JSG. Killed a hog at a lasered 192 yards using my Encore loaded with the 250 grain SST and 90 grains of JSG.

It is nice not to swab between shots. There is no crud ring to deal with and one can remove the breech plug without a big hassle.

For some time now i have been using Goex Pinnacle powder made by APP. Pinnacle is more powerful than JSG and it is also very clean burning. Hodgdon has dropped Pinnacle from their Goex line. Maybe APP will make it available under another name.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Spike

I tried about 2/3 can of Shockey's Gold. Very inconsistent, there was noticeable difference from shot to shot. Could even hear the difference in report from shot to shot. Seemed to work best if I really crammed the sabot/bullet down on the powder. My own personal theory is that the inconsistent granules are the problem. Its more like pea gravel than powder. I then discovered BH209, and have not looked back. Gave away the rest of the Shockeys Gold. BH209 burns much cleaner, more consistent,and better energy. In my guns, the follow up shots seem to get easier to load with each firing. Just my experience.