Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

primers

Old 07-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Spike

Default primers

I haven't had to buy primers in 2 years and went the other day to cabelas to get some more and all they had were the T/C primers. I am using the Remington sts ones, but was thinking about using the Winchester brand. Were do you guys get your primers from and what kinds do you like?
Matt
Old 07-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Spike

I use Winchester T7 primers, and I get them at Gander Mountain. I am extremely happy with them! I will buy the same ones again when I need some more.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually buy my primers at the Gander Mountain in Ocala, FL when I'm visiting family. Sometimes I buy some at Sportsmans Warehouse in Columbia, SC when I'm up there. I like using CCI 209M primers.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

If you are using BH 209 powder you need a primer with a hot spark like CCI magnum or federal 209 A, not the muzzleloader primers, they are made for Triple-seven powder. Any other powder will ignite fine with all other primers.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use plain old Winchester 209 shotgun primers.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I buy mine at Williams Gun Sight. I buy them by the brick and several (5+) bricks at a time. I look for the CCI ones first and Fed. 209A second but have several bricks of the standard Winchester ones on hand at the present time.
I do not go thru them now like I used to when I had time in the summer to go shoot clays every Saturday and Sunday.

Al