Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Muzzle Loading Archery/Harpoon Guns >

Muzzle Loading Archery/Harpoon Guns

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzle Loading Archery/Harpoon Guns

Old 07-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

Lightbulb Muzzle Loading Archery/Harpoon Guns

There's a well known Connecticut company that makes archery barrels for the Ruger 10/22, as well as guns that fire arrows, harpoons, tranquilizing darts and larger caliber bullets powered by compressed air or blank cartridges.

http://www.swivelmachine.com/html/rimfire.htm

Because the basic idea has already been proven to work, it should also be possible to shoot an arrow or harpoon type projectile from a muzzle loader.
I know that plenty of people have forgotten that their ramrod was still in the bore after ramming and ended up launching it downrange.
And I believe that there are also some kind of wooden darts that are commonly fired from the modern reproductions of gonnes.
If some thick wadding was put in the bottom of a smaller caliber barrel the gases would be sealed.
The arrow projectile could additionally be wrapped with some leather or other gasket material to keep it stable once loaded inside the barrel.
Even if a larger caliber barrel was used, a thicker arrow or "harpoon" could be used to better fill the bore since a thinner arrow might snap or fracture with a heavy load.
But unless someone has a very good backing for their target like a wheel of hay, there's a good chance that the arrow would get damaged or destroyed upon impact.
It may even be possible to shoot a single short arrow or "bolt" from a C&B revolver barrel. However a safe method for preloading such a projectile into the barrel would need to be developed before the cylinder is loaded with powder and then finally capped. But I think that it could be done safely and would work to some extent.
I suppose that if someone was in a survival situation and ran out bullets to shoot, that making a projectile from available materials would be option.
So what does anyone think about the idea of shooting wooden arrows, harpoons, bolts or darts from the various types of muzzle loading guns, who has ever tried it or would be willing to?

Last edited by arcticap; 07-25-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

What would you use this for and would it be legal?
Old 07-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

You can also fire your gun after you stick it in the mud but you would be pushing safety a bit I think . To much barrel pressure thats why they change to compressed air I think with the darts and harpoons .
Old 07-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

I really see no logical reason for such a thing, but then on one of the boards someone shot a deer with grape shot out of a cannon, I didn't see and sense in that either, to each there own I guess
Old 07-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Spike

Please post the pics along with your range report....if you're still alive.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

Re-enactors do shoot large wooden darts out of their gonnes which are based on an ancient design, so it's not a practice that's unproven.

Here's some replies from other forums:

Seems to me I have some pictures of a 1700s flare/signal gun

Sort of a Long barreled Jaeger flintlock kind of thing.

It shot illumination flares that looked like big bottle rockets

Definite wood rod down the bbl. ,fired from the shoulder.
Shoulder fired muzzleloading harpoon guns are still in use up here by native whalers, especially for the kill lance. Pretty common.

Memory is foggy whether it was L&C Journals or another source, but there's a historic account of one explorer or trapper that got separated from his party for some time with his rifle and powder but without his ball bag. He tried shooting small game with wooden "arrows" in his rifle, but as I recall he was pretty darned hungry when reunited.

And yeah, my wife forgot to withdraw the ramrod when shooting her 36 cal at targets. 30 grains of 3f if I recall correctly. Testimony to her marksmanship, she just missed the 10-ring on a 3" bull at 25 yards. She acknowledged feeling more recoil at the shot, but didn't realize what she had done till she started looking for her ramrod to reload.

Yeah we didn't kid her too much about it. Not after the first year anyway. Come to think about it, maybe it's time to remind her one more time.......
I'm sure someone shot a ramrod into an enemy or game more than once. The early whaling harpoon guns were enormous black powder affairs made of heavy brass. I'm not going to try sticking a spear down the flintlock, though!

Last edited by arcticap; 07-27-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:23 AM
Fork Horn

I have been thinking about this for some time. My idea was to make a harpoon gun from an old Tower flintlock pistol for use on alligators. I believe it can be done safely but am still not sure about the legality of using such a device in Georgia on gators.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Dominant Buck

While there is no doubt that a wooden dart of sorts could be shot out of a muzzleloader, your accuracy would be very subject to weights, air patterns, powder charges, etc. Also the wear and tear on your rifle might be a matter of concern down the road. For instance, when someone does by mistake shoot a ramrod, I often suggest that they check the barrel for bulges. Just not a good idea to shoot wooden dart IMO.