Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions Hawken

Old 05-12-2009, 06:53 PM

Default Traditions Hawken

I picked up a .50 cal Traditions Springfield Classic with 24" barrel and 1-32" twist. It looks like a Hawken with a single trigger. It has never been fired. I can't seem to find any info on it. Can anyone help me out with ideas on good powder loads or any info on it?

Thanks
Tom

Old 05-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Traditions Hawken

I've seen a Traditions Springfield Hawkins but never a Springfield Classic. I am guessing it has stamped on the barrel 1-32 twist. So because of that I would try 80 grains of powder and some conicals or sabots. If you shoot sabots keep them 300 grain or under. Some conicals to try would be maxiball, bull shop conicals, great plains, or some REAL conicals.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hello there RadDad, and welcome to the forum. I think you'll enjoy it here.

I can't help you with info on that model Traditions, but I suspect someone here will know something about it.

As far as loads, a 1:32 twist should shoot conicals and sabots real well. If that gun hasnever been fired I would get a box of 410 grain or 385 grain Hornady Great Plains conicals (20 in the box)and some Pyrodex RS, and break it in by shooting up those bulletsusing 70 grain loads.

I don't know your background with muzzle loaders and/or other guns, so I'll throw this out there for whatever it's worth. I break in a new ML barrel by shooting lead conicals like the Great Plains and fully cleaning and oiling the bore between each shot. If you get a quart of 91% isopropyl alcohol ($2.50 at WalMart) you will probably get a clean bore by the third patch after each shot. I start with both sides of a very wet patch of the straight alcohol. Then both sides of a slightly dryer patch, then both sides of another slightly dryer patch. Then run a lightly oiled patch down the bore, then a dry patch, then reload. It's a pain in the butt, but (my opinion) worth the trouble.

EDIT: I was thinking about mybreak-in procedure and had an afterthought. Though I've never shot them, if I were breaking a new 50 caliber today I think I would give the Hornady FPBs a try. The copper wash coating on those should burnish the bore more effectively than lead.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the reply cayugad! Same here on the Springfield Hawkins but this one is stamped on the barrel Springfield Classic .50 cal. 1-32 twist.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the reply Semisane! I am new to muzzle loaders, I have a CVA Hawkins .50 cal That I have fired a few times with balls.
This Springfield was a family members wall hanger so I don't know how old it is. I will give the conicals a look.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Banned

my cva mountain stalker .50cal has a 1:32 twist, deep rifling. It loves the 295gr and 348gr powerbelts with 80 to 100gr pyrodex RS.

Round balls will touch @ 50 yards with 50gr pyrodex rs, .490 round ball and .015 patch
Old 05-15-2009, 06:14 PM

Looks like I will have to pick up a mixed lot of conicals, pen and paper and start shooting. Thanks for the help!