Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barrel Residue

Old 05-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Barrel Residue

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I think the seasoning patches you are using are not putting a protective coating in the bore. Clean that bore with isopropyl alcohol then a couple dry patches. After that swab the bore with a good quality gun oil, then check the rifle a couple days later.
That's what I would do.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the help guys! I do, however, have a couple other questions. You're saying to use the Isopropyl Alcohol then dry patches and then a good gun oil. What does the alcohol do? Will hoppys and other gun oil hurt the barrel? I remember watching the videos on the T/C website when they go through the whole process of loading, shooting, cleaning etc. and remember them saying to stay away from gun oil on the interior of the barrel b/c the recent muzzleloader cleaners work so well. By no means am I trying to contradict anyone. I'm just trying to get this staight is all. How important is "seasoning"? Your help is greatly appreciated. Look forward to hearing back.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Seasoning is very important if you are a cast iron fry pan. If you're a rifle barrel then I do not care whether it is seasoned or not. Bore Butter is wax. So if you want to wax your rifle bore, that's your business. I do not want to wax anything other then my Silverado.

The alcohol is a water displacement liquid. It will also clean the barrel at the same time. So when you swab the bore with isopropyl alcohol it does a couple things. It removes any fouling and oil from the bore, displaces any moisture in the bore, then it drys almost by itself. So because you oil your bore to protect it, if you remove that oil before shooting, then there is no harm. Shoot all the black powder you want.

A good swab solution I make is 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and car windshield washer fluid. You can use this to swab between shots and even use it to clean your rifle at the end of the day.