Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Cap & Ball revolver Registered?? >

Cap & Ball revolver Registered??

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cap & Ball revolver Registered??

Old 04-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 272
Default Cap & Ball revolver Registered??

Does a cap & ball revolver need to be registered or go thru an FFL.
burntmuch is offline  
Old 04-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn
Rock Fish's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 1st State, Delaware
Posts: 162
Default RE: Cap & Ball revolver Registered??

It does in New Jersey
Rock Fish is offline  
Old 04-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Dominant Buck
cayugad's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 21,193
Default RE: Cap & Ball revolver Registered??

that would depend on the state. In a lot of states they are not included in the same classification as other handguns and they do not have to be registered or go through an FFL.
cayugad is offline  
Old 04-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 261
Default RE: Cap & Ball revolver Registered??

Thankfully there are no federal restrictions on them but as the others have pointed out, some states have restrictions on them. Best check with your state laws.
Mr.Flintlock is offline  
Old 04-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,408
Default RE: Cap & Ball revolver Registered??

ORIGINAL: burntmuch

Does a cap & ball revolver need to be registered or go thru an FFL.
It looks like you are from Michigan -- I can tell you with certainty that it does, I owned one when I was there and needed to register it.

I had to get a permit to buy it, buy it within a specific timeframe (it was mailorder from Cabelas) then take it back in to complete the "safety inspection" ie registration (still burns me they think we are stupid enough to buy that "safety inspection" crap).
spaniel is offline  
Old 05-02-2009, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck
alleyyooper's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MICHIGAN
Posts: 2,568
Default RE: Cap & Ball revolver Registered??

In Michigan it is called a pistol permit. You get them from the county sherrifs office.
The local sherrif gun expert in my county asked how you were supposed to get the bullets in my cap and ball pistol.
she could not get it thru her thick head it loaded from the front of the cylinder.
She felt I should send it back to the company.

alleyyooper is offline  
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
Black Powder
05-20-2007 09:31 PM
Sporting Dogs
03-10-2007 08:48 AM
Archery Gear
10-12-2006 07:02 PM
01-23-2003 12:38 PM
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting
01-23-2003 06:02 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Quick Reply: Cap & Ball revolver Registered??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.