Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Any Blockpowder Shotgunners? >

Any Blockpowder Shotgunners?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Any Blockpowder Shotgunners?

Old 04-21-2009, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Any Blockpowder Shotgunners?

Well I just thought of the idea and how cool it would be to be able to make my own load for turkeys and at the same time the "traditionalism" in hunting them with a muzzleloader. I was just curious if anyone here shoots shotgun muzzleloaders and whether they like it or think its "worth" it. Thought it might be cool for a next gun!

Thanks!

BHB
Old 04-21-2009, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any Blockpowder Shotgunners?

I just bought one so now I do. Cant tell you much about it though because It has not came in the mail yet. I think it will be fun though.

Kirk
Old 04-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use a Pedersoli double barrel 12 ga. One from Cabela's. i took my first BP turkey with it 2 years ago. Its an absolute blast! Pun intended! I'm working up a load for a .69 round ball to sneak up and blast feral hogs with.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a Perdolisi Double 12 GA also. Bought it from Dixie Gun Works back in '72 when Dixie was about the only source for muzzleloaders.
Darn fine gun and lots of fun. About the only time I shoot it is for ourSeptember dove season.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

I have an old CVA Turkey Classic Double 12 Gauge and a TC New Englander 50 caliber with a 12 gauge accessory barrel. An early New Englander barrel with a cylender bore. I had it fitted with a Briley choke tube system. I have used both guns to take lots of small game and killed a spike buck with the CVA loaded with 69 caliber round balls.

Last year I ordered myself an Early English Trade Gun from North Star West in 62 Caliber which equates to a 20 gauge. It has flint ignition and I love it. I have taken quite a bit of small game with it. It is a straight cylender bore and I get my best patterns by using the plasticshot cup/cushon wad combination. I load it with 80gr of 3-f and equal volume of #6 shot. This load combo works great.

Hunting with a flintlock is more fun than peeing off the back porch.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I've used black powder shotguns for along time. I started out with a .62 caliber smoothbore which works fine for every thing. I then went toa T/C New Englander 12 gauge, and finally a Knight TK2000 12 gauge. All of them will take turkey.