Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 BackHorn 209..."Just a Gimmick?" >

BackHorn 209..."Just a Gimmick?"

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BackHorn 209..."Just a Gimmick?"

Old 04-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BackHorn 209..."Just a Gimmick?"

If BH209 is in fact just a gimmick or using it makes me a "sucker" then I guess I've been hood-winked. Because I am reaping all the benefits it offers over other BP Subs and I gladly pay the extra cost for these benefits. But I do understand it's not for everyone and it's not going to be great in every ML. Like stated above, use what works for you. BH209 works for me and works great!
Old 04-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Banned

Ive been using pyrodex for 10+ years now. Powerbelts since 2002 and cva for 11 years. My optima i put over 20 shots through the barrel with a combo of powerbelts,conicals and sabots without ever touching the bore.
Why change?
Old 04-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MountainDevil54

Ive been using pyrodex for 10+ years now. Powerbelts since 2002 and cva for 11 years. My optima i put over 20 shots through the barrel with a combo of powerbelts,conicals and sabots without ever touching the bore.
Why change?

Huh???

Not sure what you're saying?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

rafsob: Not doubting you, but I'm baffled about you're difficulty loading certain sabots only after shooting BH209 .... In my case it's usually easier to load on a BH209 fouled barrel in both my Elite & Omega. Could it be you rifle is so new... and continued shooting will smooth out any rough spots in the bbl. ???

Yes,,, if you inspect your barrelafter a session with BH209, you think OMG !!! what a mess!!! But just 2 Hoppes #9 patches and it's shinning nice and bright for me.I admit the B/P can be a little stubborn with BH209..as I usually end up rubbing some 0000 steel wool on the powder end.

In the end, it's whatever you haveconfidence in.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Dominant Buck

All I can do is tell of my experiences with Blackhorn 209, and they were all good. When the powder failed it was because of the old technology rifles, not the powder.

Clean up was easy. A couple solvent patches and I was good to go. ALTHOUGH cleaning the breech plug was a PITA. I had to use Q-tips and solvent and really dig at it to get the kind of clean I demand.

But accuracy was exceptional as was loading. And I never swabbed when I shot BH. I had good results with my Genesis and Knight and terrible with my Black Diamond and Staghorn. Again, rifle design was the problem and not the powder.

The only other problem with the powder besides the cost is I have to order it. So because of those reasons I still shoot black powder and the other sub powder that I can find locally.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only powder I will use in my Triumph.
My Whites get T7 or Swiss.

Steve
Old 04-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

Is it possible all the black you were seeing is comming from your jag? is this the first time the jag has seen Hoppies #9? I have used three pounds of it and now only shot it In my Inlines. Cleans with on wet patch of solvent ant 2 dry
Old 04-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

I am relitivly new to MLng. I have gone through a container of T7 Pellets, a pound of T7 FFFg and a 10oz can of BH209. I have just started a container of T7 FFg. So far, BH209 shoots the best in my Omega. Breech plug and flash hole maintainance are a must every 10 or so shots but everything else was great. The only sabots I had trouble with were the T/C SW Super Glide. They would not go down easily. Had to swab w/hoppes. My grouping was great with the BH209. I cansay my groups were better with the BH209. 110gr, Barnes TMZ, 209 primer and I am good to hunt. It is too expencive for me to shoot at the range but for hunting........ubetcha.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

I think it is great in my encore.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vabowhntr

Wow, I had been shooting t7 in my omega, but BH209 was much cleaner and slightly more accurate. Thereal selling point about it is I don't have to clean my muzzy for the whole season (2weeks). Couldn't have done that with t7, pyrodex or BP. No need to worry about POI from a clean vs dirty barrel, just foul it before the season and I am good to go.Iusually getclean patchesafter 5-7 or so. I just don't likeputting water on steel. I have noticed the breech plug needs more attention, but it only takes a few minutes.

Are you using a brush with hoppes? I hear that causes black patches many times something with the metal in the brush reacting to it.
+1, Omega also with 100g BH and 300g Barnes Expanders. Shot all two week season, then switched to Savage for rest of Rifle season. BH is very costly but worth it from a no swabbing, no crud ring, no POI change. Just don't shoot it for plinking. I shoot Savage for plinking, 44g 5744, is about 1/2 of what 777 charge is, so in a 1 lb can I get 2x thee shots.
Chap

Quick Reply: BackHorn 209..."Just a Gimmick?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.