Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Back To The Basics >

Back To The Basics

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Back To The Basics

Old 04-06-2009, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Back To The Basics

I am going back to the basics. I am going back to hunting with my FL only. I have bought all the modern rifles, and scopes, and propellants, and bullets.................... and I am a bit disgusted with myself. Sure I can add a liitle range, and a little more accuracy to my shooting!! But to what ends?? I enjoy the PA flintlock season more than any other ML season(or any rifle season), and the main reason is that it is FL only.

I am getting my molds back out, and I am going to work up a good cast bullet load for my FL. I always could shoot round balls out to 125 yard or so with no problem. So I should have no problem working up a good cast bullet load that will be effective to 150 yards?? I do not see a problem with that.

And IMO nothing is more fun than shooting a FL. So if I stray off the path---I need you guys to put me back in line. Tom.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Back To The Basics

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I am going back to the basics. I am going back to hunting with my FL only. I have bought all the modern rifles, and scopes, and propellants, and bullets.................... and I am a bit disgusted with myself. Sure I can add a liitle range, and a little more accuracy to my shooting!! But to what ends?? I enjoy the PA flintlock season more than any other ML season(or any rifle season), and the main reason is that it is FL only.

I am getting my molds back out, and I am going to work up a good cast bullet load for my FL. I always could shoot round balls out to 125 yard or so with no problem. So I should have no problem working up a good cast bullet load that will be effective to 150 yards?? I do not see a problem with that.

And IMO nothing is more fuin than shooting a FL. So if I stray off the path---I need you guys to put me back in line. Tom.
The path of enlightment? "Grasshopper, you choose well". Kwai Chang Caine David Carradine Cira 1972-1975.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_(TV_series)

Master Po: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Young Caine: I hear the water, I hear the birds.
Po: Do you hear your own heartbeat?
Caine: No.
Po: Do you hear the grasshopper that is at your feet?
Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?[1]

And the obvious
Caine: How it it that you know cast bullets are the best for a FlintLock?
Master Head0001: I just know Grasshopper.

Chap
Old 04-06-2009, 06:51 AM
Dominant Buck

There is nothing wrong with walking the traditional path in muzzleloading. I commend you for your dedication to one aspect of the sport.

I stomped that same trail for years. Now I walk both paths.I get a lot of satisfaction in seeing what I can make an inline do, or a traditional rifle. To me both are exciting. While some find one stylemore enlightening then the other, I disagree.I think the pleasure for me is just being in the woods, walking around, watching and listening and interacting with my surroundings. Whether I shoot a deer and with what is not the point for me anymore. I am not going to starve if I fail to bring home game. And while I do hunt for meat, I really do not care whether it falls to an inline or a traditional rifle.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why not stick with round balls for hunting???
Old 04-06-2009, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Why not stick with round balls for hunting???
Please do not try to confuse the issue with the facts!!

I do not know. I guess I just like to cast bullets?? That is about the best I can come up with. And round balls are too easy to cast. Tom.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I guess I just like to cast bullets??
There's sure nothing wrong with throwing a little heavier lead out there if your gun will shoot a bullet well. I'm like Cayugad, I like playing with both inlines and sidelocks, though I admit to favoring the sidelocks. My two "fun guns" are my .54 GP flintlock and .58 Zouave. I often take three or four guns to the hunting camp for a week-endhunt, and end up using them all over the course of several morning and evening hunts.