Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barnes TMZ

Old 04-06-2009, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Barnes TMZ

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I guess I am a bit of a hypocrit. I give the guys **** for shooting the expensive Barnes bullets in their centerfire rifles because of the expense. And then I shoot them in my MZ. So I guess I am guilty of being a bit 2-faced about my bullets. However I have sworn myself off the expensive bullets from now on.

I have shot them because they shoot very well, however I have never noticed them being any more reliable on deer than a straight cast bullet. And my cast bullets are a lot cheaper.

Since(IMO) an MZ is limited to 200 yard shooting I can not justify spending that much for maybe a inch or so better accuracy at 200 yards. So I have went back to shooting cast bullets only, and I am glad I did. Also my cast bullets load a lot easier than the Barnes bullets, or at least that has been my experience.

I have only shot a couple of elk with an MZ. However they were shot with bullets that I cast. And there is no way any other bullet could have done a better job on the elk than those bullets did. However that is with limited experience. Tom.
We all are, I find as I get older I am "consistently inconsistent". I don't want it to be, I don't try to be, but I am. God says we are all sinners, missing the mark all or mostthe time, He says "my ways are not your ways". As I get older, I am finally beginning to understand this. It is true in MLing also, we are consistently inconsistnet, at least I am.

The hardcast bullets are excellent for extreme penetration and great terminal performance, if they have "flat nose" instead of rounded nose, then they are perfect for MLing and are great Band Flop bullets, if they shoot well in your rifle. As for "being cheap", I have found when I have been cheap on things (putting an a new water pump on my car, and following the intructions for "pencil thickness of blue gasketsealant", that they ment thickness of the lead, not thickness of the pencil!!!! That FUMBLE caused me a $1000 head job to remove all the gasket cement. So choose cheapness with knowledge is what I now do and recommend to other. Things you know you can do well, sure do them, things you know your wife will give you h*** on, better outsource those, since you won't hear the end of it anyway. MLing, thank God our wives are not into that.
Chap