Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Looking for an affordable bullet that works. >

Looking for an affordable bullet that works.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking for an affordable bullet that works.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Looking for an affordable bullet that works.

When i started shooting and testing Lehigh bullets people came out of the cracks to complain about performance, cost, Brass, etc,etc. At the end of the day, all i know right now is they are accurate. Are they cheap, Hell no.

There are many companies with cheap bullets. I noticed Knight is selling MZ expanders for $14.00 bucks for 18 bullets. That's not cheap by any means. By the time you ship them they will be over a buck a bullet. If you like MZ Expander bullets, but cant afford them. Just buy a 250grn Hornady XTP or a 300grn XTP. They will do anything a MZ expander can do alot cheaper. I have no complaints about the Barnes MZ expander, they work. I have shot Deer with them. The XTP works to. Dont think you got to use a brand name bullet to shoot and kill Deer humanly. And you dont need to spend a buck a bullet either. My sporting store sells them for $16.00 bucks for a hundred 250grn XTP'S. That's like 16cents a bullet. They sell harvester sabots for $5.99 for 50 of them. That's 11cents a sabot. A little shopping and buying locally is a must to save money sometimes.

Can members please post some bullets that are cheap that you have had excellant results with for the members who dont have the money to buy the more exspensive brand name bullets. I would think Deer size game is good enough for the bullet choices. Maybe even some cheaper places to buy sabots and supplies. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have lost there jobs and could use a little help now in the pricing department.
I'm sure there are people who will appreciate this that read and dont even post.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Looking for an affordable bullet that works.

One of my favorite is the .430 diameter .44 caliber 300 grain Hornady XTP in a green Harvester Crushed Rib sabot. They shoot well for me in many rifles. Also the .452 .45 caliber Hornady XTP's 300 grain in a black Harvester Crushed Rib sabot work real good for me.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Banned

Good ol' affordable and lethal projectile is the round ball. After seeing what the .530 ball did to my elk,im pretty stuck on the .54cal muzzys.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love Barnes and Nosler. Great bullets. But I just can't afford them. I've been hunting with XTPs since the 90s and I have YET to lose a deer with them. A couple years ago I shot through a branch in front ofa doeand still got a pass through. $0.28 a shot is what I have it down to for my deer bullet which is the 300g .452 XTP MAG in a Crush Rib.

For me it has to do with cost and trust. I don't have a lot of money to be spending on bullets and I have complete confidence in the XTP line. I'm a believer in "Dance with the one that brung ya".

Old 03-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Grouse45

Gold Dots - are a way better bullet than Hornady's and they are at a reasonable price.

They are bonded and they expand to a given point - they truly are a 'poor mans Nosler'

And Hornady's can come apart even at ML speeds....

I would believe even the UNI-CORE Speers would be a better bullet again as they a bonded - but do not have the dot in the center to stop expansion.

Here is an expanded Gold Dot showing the dot controller in the middle.

Shoot i have a picture of a Bi-Sected Gold Dot but it is not on PB...

Old 03-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well everyone on this forum knows I'm a Gold Dot fan. I shoot the 300 grain ones and have never recovered a bullet shot into a deer, and never lost a deer with them. I've read the 250 GDs work well also, but have not personally put one into a deer.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TNHagies

I love Barnes and Nosler. Great bullets. But I just can't afford them.
Thanks for the Honesty. I think alot of people are in the same boat. I know i was a few years ago. At 175yds and under, those XTP'S work.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sabotloader, i have no clue why you got Lehigh's. You must not of read how they worked.

Please post the cost of thebullet you prefer for the members. Thanks
Old 03-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Grouse45

When i started shooting and testing Lehigh bullets people came out of the cracks to complain about performance, cost, Brass, etc,etc. At the end of the day, all i know right now is they are accurate. Are they cheap, Hell no.

There are many companies with cheap bullets. I noticed Knight is selling MZ expanders for $14.00 bucks for 18 bullets. That's not cheap by any means. By the time you ship them they will be over a buck a bullet. If you like MZ Expander bullets, but cant afford them. Just buy a 250grn Hornady XTP or a 300grn XTP. They will do anything a MZ expander can do alot cheaper. I have no complaints about the Barnes MZ expander, they work. I have shot Deer with them. The XTP works to. Dont think you got to use a brand name bullet to shoot and kill Deer humanly. And you dont need to spend a buck a bullet either. My sporting store sells them for $16.00 bucks for a hundred 250grn XTP'S. That's like 16cents a bullet. They sell harvester sabots for $5.99 for 50 of them. That's 11cents a sabot. A little shopping and buying locally is a must to save money sometimes.

Can members please post some bullets that are cheap that you have had excellant results with for the members who dont have the money to buy the more exspensive brand name bullets. I would think Deer size game is good enough for the bullet choices. Maybe even some cheaper places to buy sabots and supplies. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have lost there jobs and could use a little help now in the pricing department.
I'm sure there are people who will appreciate this that read and dont even post.

Without the doubt the cheapest best best ML bullet in my opinion is the 300g Speer Gold Dot:

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000213974

thy are $18.02 at MidSouth, if you like 250g, you can get them for $15.39

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000214484. Match that bullet with a

Crushed Rib sabot at $5.56 for 50

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00072H15045BR

and your shooting a MLer pretty cheap.

These Speer Soft Core, Unicore bullets in 300g are only $16.72 for 50:

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000214485

As Cayugad mentioned the XTP and XTP Mag are good and inexpensive:

This is Mag: https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000345235

This is non-mag: https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000345230

It you drop down to the 250g they sell them in boxes of 100 and they are 22.07:

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000345200

all these will work with a CR sabot. I have shot the XTP Mag and the Gold Dots in my Omega and killed deer they work. 300g is better than 250 since they shoot thru and don't fragement as bad, they are a good bullet and an excellent bullet for the money.

My brother shoots the Powerbelt work alike Harvester Saber Tooth:

http://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=3&o ption=com_virtuemart&Itemid=3&vmcchk=1&amp ;Itemid=3

they are $11.99 per 15, but I recall he bought about 10 packs for $7/pack when he first started using them. He switch from Powerbelts after penetraton issues at 150g of pellets.

My ranking is:
Speer Gold Dot 300g
Speer Got Dot 250g
Hornady XTP 300g
Speer unicore 300g
Hornady XTP 250g
Harvester Saber Tooth 300g.

All will kill very well if placed accurately, so choose the bullet with is most accurate in your gun.
Chap
Old 03-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Grouse45

i have no clue why you got Lehigh's. You must not of read how they worked.
Because they do interest me and I really need to try them - more importantly 'What if they work and I did not try them?'

Please post the cost of the bullet you prefer for the members
Well Chap pretty much took care of that...

Quick Reply: Looking for an affordable bullet that works.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.