Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 200 gr SST/SW w Crushrib in Optima Elite >

200 gr SST/SW w Crushrib in Optima Elite

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

200 gr SST/SW w Crushrib in Optima Elite

Old 03-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default 200 gr SST/SW w Crushrib in Optima Elite

I am currently shooting the 200gr SW's with supplied sabot out of my Optima Elite. This combination is really tight in this gun and is near impossible loading a second and third shot without swabbing using Shockeys Gold. I will be switching to BH later this year and want to try the 50/40 crushrib with it. Does anyone have experience with how tight this combination is and if it's tight enough to work well with BH.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 200 gr SST/SW w Crushrib in Optima Elite

Well if it is tight using Shockey Gold it should be fine with BlackHorn209. How was accuracy?

Something to check with Shockey Gold.. When your shooting it, look (from an angle) into the muzzle and see if you spot a white chalk like substance building up near the muzzle. That is probaby making the hard loading. And you can normally just swab the first couple inches of the barrel and the rest of the barrel will load fine.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

Im shooting the 200 grain SWs & mmp50/40 sabots. I tried the CR 50/40 sabots, they loaded real easy, Couldnt get BH209 to ignite. The guns an Omega X7 with a tight bore. & winchester 209.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: burntmuch

Im shooting the 200 grain SWs & mmp50/40 sabots. I tried the CR 50/40 sabots, they loaded real easy, Couldnt get BH209 to ignite. The guns an Omega X7 with a tight bore. & winchester 209.
Were you compressing your charge? i.e. putting your full weight on your ram rod once you get your bullet seated? Usually smokeless requires that, and BH is more like smokeless than it is like real BP.
Chap
Old 03-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

As far as I know I was compressing it enough. I pushed it down as far as the mmp sabot. The primer was going off, pushing the bullet/sabot15 inches up the barrel. Id push the bullet sabot back down over the charge & try again, same thing, bullet/sabot would go 14-15 inches up the barrel. did that 3 or 4 times. I had a good shooting combo with the mmps. So I gave up with the CRs. The bore on my X7 was real tight when I got it last year . After 100 fireings or so Its loosened up. The first 8-9 inches is real tight, then it loosens up.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: burntmuch

As far as I know I was compressing it enough. I pushed it down as far as the mmp sabot. The primer was going off, pushing the bullet/sabot15 inches up the barrel. Id push the bullet sabot back down over the charge & try again, same thing, bullet/sabot would go 14-15 inches up the barrel. did that 3 or 4 times. I had a good shooting combo with the mmps. So I gave up with the CRs. The bore on my X7 was real tight when I got it last year . After 100 fireings or so Its loosened up. The first 8-9 inches is real tight, then it loosens up.
I use the CR with .458 bullets in my Savage, and they are "just right tight" with a dirty bore. I have used them with .452 and .451 and some Parker Ballistic Extremes (.450) and had the same result as you, no fire. That is with a good igniting powder, so I know the CR are pretty loose in most guns with .452 bullets.
Chap
Old 03-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

Off topic, but some thing Ive thought of doing was polish the first ten inches of my barrel & use 41cal 210 grain Gold dots in the CR sabots. Ive tried loading them in my bore. Just the first ten inches or so is too tight. After that its just right tight.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

How did those 210 Gold Dots shoot for you Burntmuch? My .41 Mag Blackhawk shoots them well and they are real deer killers. But I tried them in the.45 caliber Green Mountain LRH barrel on my Renegade (1:30 twist)using 45/40 crush rib sabots. I gotgood accuracy at 50 yards, but the groups really fell apart at 100.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

I never shot them. I just pushed them down the bore to see if they would load. They loaded so hard I figured they were,nt worth shooting. I think they would be a good deer bullet with 80 or 90 grains of BH behind it. I tried this during hunting season. Ive got 100 of the CR sabots, I may just buy a box of the .41 Gold dots this spring & try them out. Shooting in the summers hard for me. theres just way too many walleye swimming in these great lakes that belong in my freezer, So most of my shooting is in the spring & fall. I know thats no exscuse
Old 03-27-2009, 03:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Something to check with Shockey Gold.. When your shooting it, look (from an angle) into the muzzle and see if you spot a white chalk like substance building up near the muzzle. That is probaby making the hard loading. And you can normally just swab the first couple inches of the barrel and the rest of the barrel will load fine.
What Cayugad said. The same is also true of Goex Pinnacle.

JSG and Pinnacle like a tight fitting sabot that is seated very hard on the powder.

Quick Reply: 200 gr SST/SW w Crushrib in Optima Elite

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.