Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hinge Pin Question for those with TC Encore's >

Hinge Pin Question for those with TC Encore's

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hinge Pin Question for those with TC Encore's

Old 03-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hinge Pin Question for those with TC Encore's

Personally, I am not experiencing any accuracy fluctuations from hinge pin drift (that I know of) but I have read about some people who have. I was wondering if anyone has installed an aftermarket "Oversize Hinge Pin" and if so, what specific affect has it had on accuracy? I've seen a few different offerings, such as the Bellm product, but haven't really heard any reviews on the effects.

Is it worth it or is it a waste of money?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hinge Pin Question for those with TC Encore's

SWThomas

I have no concrete information at all....in fact one of the reason I would not consider purchasing a Triumph is that I did not want a break-open rifle... Shotgun OK but rifle I dear the loss of accuracy as the pin loosens....

But since I have now become the owner of a Triumph I have done some rationaliztion... the barrel and sights remain the same all the time so really the hinge should not effect accuracy... but in my mind I know it can to some degree. I believe you can associate it to 'harmonics' - if the harmonics in your barrel stay the same each time you shoot a certain load with a given projectile - then all should be equal. With a break open those harmonics can be changed each time you install the forearm or possibly as the pin becomes looser and may create a different harmonic.

I personally believe the forearm installation to be a greater influence than the hinge loosening. The hinge will wear over time and the POI may wander slightly over time and in most cases you catch this wander every time you repare your rifle for the hunting season... you make those slight adjustments as they occur.

When you read the information that people share when they discuss the ruger #1 and the installation of the forearm, even what Lee (leomoyne or Lee9) did to stabilize his forearm installation on his Triumph you can see why the forearm is important. For me and me only the wear of the hinge pin should be a gradual thing that you keep up with and at some point you will have to make the modification.

Just thinking off the top of my head....
Old 03-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have a loose fitting barrel, probably is worth it. But if your current pin is tight and there is very little up/down or side/side movement of your barrel - surely not. I've used his oversized pin that does not require a reamer and it did tighten the fit of barrel to action - but I can't say for certain it yielded any increased accuracy.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

If you have a loose fitting barrel, probably is worth it. But if your current pin is tight and there is very little up/down or side/side movement of your barrel - surely not. I've used his oversized pin that does not require a reamer and it didn't tighten the fit of barrel to action - but I can't say for certain it yielded any increased accuracy.

Hmmm...I use a Belm #1 Hinge Pin when I install my .257Roberts barrel on my PH frame which is not very often. It helps for sure. On my ML barrel it does not seem to matter. Shoots good with the stock pin. Don't really know for sure what to make of this. [&:]
Old 03-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

It made a differance on mine to float the for arm, my Triumph has well over 20 pounds of powder and 10 can [10oz] of black horn and still shoots better than I can.
The Encore is a different store, because of the interchangeable barrels they have more slop and some need to have the over size pin if it dose not feel loose and groups good its not broke. Lee
Old 03-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good info fellas! Thanks!
Old 03-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

Since I broke down and bought this Triumph - how do I do what you did to your forearm? Got any pictures?
Old 03-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Had some hinge pin problems. The pin that came with my gun was out of round. Sometimes the gun would lock up without side to side play in the barrel, sometimes not. This did not causemuch of a problem with accuracybut it just bugged me. Bought an oversize hinge pin and the problem went away.

Agun that costs as much as an Encoreshouldhave no problems.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never took any pictures. Its easy all you need is to take out a forearm screw and go find 4 washers two will be standard washers and two will be rubber washers about the thickness of thin cardboard, put the steel [or brass if you prefer] next to the forearm and the rubber ones on top of them and put it back together. This keeps the pressure points the same especially if you don't happened to get the sandbags the same every time. Lee
Old 03-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

That makes good sense... I'll get it done Monday