Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

encore's?????

Old 11-04-2005, 09:37 AM

Default encore's?????

i have heard a lot of good things about the encore's and i was just wondering if it is a nice gun. I have a tc black diamond. one of the best guns i have ever owned.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: encore's?????

The Encore is the top of the line for Thompson Center... I am sure it would be a great rifle. From all the posts I have read by Encore owners, they get excellent accuracy.

I also have a Black Diamond XR and because of the accuracy of that rifle scoped it for long range shooting. They are a great rifle in their own way.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:05 AM

One of my hunting partners shoots an Encore. Really nice gun. Great ergonomics, fairly short overall for its barrel length, and extremely weatherproof. I have a couple of Black Diamonds, as well as a new Omega; and I still think my old SS/camo Black Diamond XR will outshoot any other gun in the cabinet. That may be partly due to all the conicals it has had through it, smoothing the barrel to a mirror finish.

Although the Black Diamonds have never let me down; I am a little concerned about things like snow, ice, water, sand, etc. getting into the action and preventing the striker from falling after the trigger is pulled. The gun has had this malfunction several times just from black powder residue coming back through nipple on long shooting sessions. The Omega's and Encore's seem to have solved this problem.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:44 AM

I have a 209x50 encore and it is a great gun. I am also thinking of adding a black diamond xr ss/synthetic to my collection, as ihave heard alot of good things about them from several members here. If you wont an Encore buy it you wont regret it. Karry
Old 11-04-2005, 11:08 AM

ORIGINAL: KLM300
If you wont an Encore buy it you wont regret it.

I have an Encore that begs to differ with that.

I like the way the gun handles but getting it to shoot good groups has been expensive and frustrating to say the least.
If I had it to do over again I would get a Knight or a Savage.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:55 PM

I have to agree with birdrider, I had an encore and it wouldn't shoot groups very well and to make a long story short I traded that gun for a optima and a Remington 7400 30-06 I like the optima a lot better than I did the encore but everyone is different with a different feel for the gun.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Spike

I have an Encore and it's the sweetest thing that I have everowned, well except for my wife, wait a minute though,she owns me!!!

Seriously, it's my first ML andI can't imagineowning anythingother that compares. I know that's a loaded statementbut I am totally satisfied with my Encore.Believe me it'sa great ML and agreat shooter.The only negative thing is the price but you get what you pay for and a(Lifetime Warranty).

Word to the wise. After I purchased my EncoreI askedfor adviseon this forum from bulletsto scopes andreceivedthe best advise one would ever need. These folks know their stuff about ML's so use them, they love it. Athough some common sense must prevail too!
Old 11-06-2005, 08:08 AM

I had a black diamond.I shot over a hundred rounds through it.Every kind of powder I could get.Several differnet bullets.Several differnt scopes.Never ever could get a 2 shot group.Shot it dirty shot it clean.I finally gave up and took it back to the gun shop.They told how good of a gun they were and said it was just me .I said I will make you a deal you take it get sighted in and I will keep it but if you can't make it shoot straight I get my money back.3 days later he called and said come pick out a new gun.So I chose my Ruger M 77/50 and love it very much but did think pretty hard about the Encore but the black diamond deal spooked me away from TC.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

I have sold off all my muzzle loaders except 2 savages,an encore and a ruger 77/50,which neither will be for sale they all shoot very well.
Haven't used the ruger in years but would be willing to bet that the fist shot would be close to the center of the bull
I like the encore and even I don't shoot it very much,it is a shooter.
Shot this 3-shot group back in the summer just checking the encore out
the bullet holes with the x's are another fellows he let me use his shoot and see target.

Old 11-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

They are a fine rifle and most folks that have trouble with them are either overdriving them or doing something wrong with cleaning. I have seen some that had some trouble out of the box but the factory made good with them.

Mine likes a diet of 44cal bullets between 250 and 300g. I have shot nothing but loose 777 out of it for years and clean it with water or number 13 cleaner from T/C. The only loading problem I had with the thing is with the first batch of Shockwaves that came out they were over sized and impossible to load.

Oh btw after a heavy shooting session or every few months I use a bore brush with a high quality bore solvent to clean out the groove of all that plastic and stuck fowling stuff.

PS I like the .308 and 22-250 barrels I own for the thing as well.

Quick Reply: encore's?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.