Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What have you did, doing now? >

What have you did, doing now?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What have you did, doing now?

Old 02-17-2009, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What have you did, doing now?

Grew up on a farm, left that and school to work in a car wash days and wash dishs nights, then got away from the car wash to be a porter at a seat cover place and learned how to do seat covers vynal tops and convertible tops. Left that after a year and half and worked making alum storm doors and windows. Got drafted,wasted 2 years of my life with that. Got a job with GM when I got out. I did trouble shooting and cussed the enginners a lot for 33 years. Last 5 years were spent on the ABS system and the new non chip key theift system mostly NO STARTS. I went halves on the family farm with dad till 1984 then to.
I do landscaping design and installing raised beds, ponds as well as other garden type work.Hence our Garden View Apiaries where I got the experince doing 3800sq ft for Kare.I also do handy man work on a minor scale. Plus I not only keep honey bees we do removal work too. I raise all our own queens about 30 some a year. We went into winter this year (after a 63% loss last spring) with 65 colonies.

Thanks UC I sold out the wax in ruffly a half hour this year.

Al
Old 02-17-2009, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What have you did, doing now?

I grew up in up-state westren NY on a working farm on a dirt road. Still a working farm on a dirt road today just not in the family anymore. All kinds of hunting and fishing. After I was done going from coast to coast in my late teens and early 20s (hitchhiking once) I got into commercial construction and became asubcontractor for metal studs and drywall. That was in Rochester NY. In "89" I moved (again) to CA and landed in Modesto of all the god forsaken cities. I bounced from job to job for a while and never found my nook. Thats is where my mom lived so I hung there till I had had enough and landed in Lake Tahoe in "93". 21 dealer, restaurant manager, flyfishing guide and now, I am in health care. My hobbies are shooting, flyfishing &football GO STEELERS! I bleed Black & Gold...no offence to anyone. I am getting back into hunting and thats why I went out and got me a ML. Next is a Trad....saving my pennies.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are most welcome, Al. But if I told you what I have done, I would have to .......
Old 02-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very interesting subject.

I started out in SE Texas mowing grass for neighbors at about 8 years old. Was still doing that when I graduated college and moved away. I had other summer jobs along the way including pumping gas, working in a car dealership preping cars and working in the body shop, manual laborer at a chemical plant, worked with several music groups and even as a bouncer in a large CW club. I traveled on the road with a touring music group as their sound man just before moving to Nashville to work in a large recording studio. I worked in the Nashville studio scene for 15 years and was part of over 1000 recording projects ranging from demos to national TV spots and a Disney movie. By then my ears were getting somewhat bad and I moved to Albuquerque for a job in the chip making industry working on Photolithography equipment. After 8 years the economy took a plunge and as of 2 weeks ago I am now,thanks to a layoff,looking for my next big challenge in the job market. Sure hope I find something soon, the kids are getting hungry.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Grew up on a farm, we were too busy and poor for my Dad to every take the time to get into hunting so while I was shooting at 9 and always outdoors I didn't start hunting until 13 (couldn't deer hunt with a gun in MI until 14 anyways). Once I started there was not much else I did when seasons were open.

Finished high school, picked a decent but cheap in-state school my scholarships would cover. Stayed out of debt by working up to 3 part-time jobs despite doing 3 sports (including rifle team of course). Still hunted a lot as the school was pretty much wilderness all around.

Roofed a house by myself after graduation to buy a car (which I still drive), packed up everything with only a few hundred dollars to my name and drove off to start a PhD in cancer research. Forced to live in the city, but was 3 hours from my parents so hunted many weekends. Did that for 4 years, got married after 3 of them, decided for various reasons that staying to finish was a dumb idea and a ticket to misery. Left with a M.S., started an MBA at the same school and went into debt (and lots of it!) for the first time in my life though my wife had finished her M.S. and had a good job.

10 years of college....I amNEVER going to school again...

Finished the MBA and actively sought out a company/career that would allow me to raise my family like I wanted to. Moved to one of the few places in my industry you can do that (Indiana, working on cancer drugs), now I have 16 acres and while all my current hunting land is 90 minutes away I have a nice shooting range out the back door and within a couple years I'll have decent bird hunting there as well.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lordyou allmust be really bored. Hope the weather breaks soon soyou can all get out and punch some paper with the MLs. Ya sound like a buch of old f**ts sitting on the porch on a rocker.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Lordyou allmust be really bored. Hope the weather breaks soon soyou can all get out and punch some paper with the MLs. Ya sound like a buch of old f**ts sitting on the porch on a rocker.

What you say .... Sonny??? My Momma used to say... "If you can't say something nice.. then don't say nothing at all... "

Old 02-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Give me while to try to remember what I did, back when I could...

I can remember that I bought my first flintlock in 1977, travelled a bit...I've been to Hawaii, Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, Bahamas, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Mexico and have seen much of the US...All this was before 1990...
Old 02-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

YEAH - WELL YOUR MOMMA............... aw heck. Have a nice day.

Dave - go buy a few more MLs to run some test on and report so we have something to talk about.
Lets have a post on year of birth to see who the truly old farts are.
Mine's 1953

Old 02-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ain't nothing better than being an old fart bronko. I know`cause I is one. Do what you want, when you want. Scratch where it itches. Don't really care what others think.

If `ya live long enough you learn things seem to go better if you're nice to everyone - even impertinent young scallywags.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.