Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Triple 7 crud ring >

Triple 7 crud ring

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Triple 7 crud ring

Old 02-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Spike

Default Triple 7 crud ring

Is the crud ring enough to prevent a follow-up shot ortwo if needed in the field without swabbing and maintain accuracy? does it prevent loading properly?
Old 02-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Triple 7 crud ring

aaron_aa469

In some cases - it can be... You will have to shoot your load and check the reaction in your particular barrel. I have never had a reall problem with it, but others have.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

aaron_aa469
It certainly was for me that's the reason I only use Pyrodex and Blackhorn and real black powder now. Some people like Sabotloader can get more than one shot, I had it so bad that it would have been unsafe to try a second shot with out cleaning. I had to really scrub to get the next load to seat so that accuracy and safety would be acceptable. Lee
Old 02-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

In my Mustang, Ican get three or four shots without swabbingwith 105 grains T7 FFG and a 300 grain Gold Dot in Harvester short black sabots.

With the same load in my Omega X7, I have a difficult time seating a second bullet without swabbing.

Go figure!
Old 02-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

I get the same crud ring with t7 or pyro. after about 2 or 3 shots my triumph will get hard to load and through off the shot
Old 02-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Probably will depend on rifle/load combo. I can shoot up to 7 times or so without swabbing- BUT I have to push the bullet past the crud ring which gets more & more difficult as I shoot, plus I've noticed that accuracy tends to suffer. However, in the field, I can reload with a 2nd shot and not have loading or accuracy issues - that usually starts around the 3rd or 4th shot.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

My pro hunter hates it you can't get down the second shot without bouncing the ram rod.AS sabotloader
said you will have to try it out for yourself, and your gun.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:54 AM
Spike

I am getting a Triumph, would the crud ring be less or more if I got ff or fff? or would it make a difference,I heard it makes a difference in velocity but that is it!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

aaron_aa469
It should be a bit less with 777-FFF.
I hope you know that you can get the same or better velocity with Pyrodex it just takes a bit more and that a lot of us have gone to BH209 because of better accuracy and the fact you can shoot all day with out cleaning.
Pyrodex is cheapermore corrosive and only in one case have I ever heard of anyone getting what we call crudring from it.777 is a strong accurate powder that can form a ring of residue that is so hard it takes 5 minutes of scrubbing to get it out it formed right above where the bullet sets so if you did not clean it out then you could not tell if the bullet or sabot was completely seated down on the powder.Since it is not quite as strong or accurate asBH209 [some people don't believe the accurate part because it only makes a difference if you normally hold a very good group and then see it reduced in size, I never got any groups under 3/4 of an inch before I used it, if you can not take a good cartridge gun and shoot under an inch at 100yds you might not be able to tell it is better that way. Lee
Old 02-13-2009, 06:42 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

i shoot my triumph hot,130g vol. 777 250g sst. terrible crud ring,but accurate.i allways swab between shots.i started using blackhorn209 and love it. karl

Quick Reply: Triple 7 crud ring

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.