Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Triple 7 crud ring >

Triple 7 crud ring

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Triple 7 crud ring

Old 02-13-2009, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Triple 7 crud ring

ORIGINAL: BIG.PAUL

I get the same crud ring with t7 or pyro. after about 2 or 3 shots my triumph will get hard to load and through off the shot
Are you using the same referance that the rest of us are ?
Pydrodex is a powder that leaves a quite of bit of corrosive residue usually reasonably soft and spread out, what we call a crudring is a very hard ring of residue that forms right above where the bullet sits and is difficult to get out.
Mike,Dave, UC help us out on this so we all mean the same thing when we us these terms. Or do some people get crud ring with pyrodex? I used it for years in a dozen different guns and while it was kind of dirty I never even heard of anybody getting crudring with it. Lee
Old 02-13-2009, 07:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

What i refer to when talking 'crud ring' is the crusted ring near that froms all the way around the barrel near the point where the projectile sits on top of the powder load. I have not shot a lot of any of the Pyros, just enought to know I am not fond of it, but I never experianced a 'crug ring' with Pyro - just a lot of 'crud' up and down the barrel
Old 02-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most all ML manufacrures recommended running a patch down the bore after every shot. This is for compareable accuracy and to keep the barrel clean of fowling and (preventing) the (crud ring) Some powders may have less, some more. But remember were shooting ML's and with this comes extra cleaning of the barrel to prevent the adverse affects of blackpowder or subsitutes,Swab between each shot and you should be fine. BP
Old 02-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot 105gr 777/3fg in my Omega. I use the 3 petal EZ sabot for my Reload in the field. It is good once then I have to swab. At the range I swab after each shot

Charlie
Old 02-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

Swab between each shot is the right thing when shooting the ML....why rush ? i enjoy cleaning my ML.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Breechplug

Most all ML manufacrures recommended running a patch down the bore after every shot. This is for compareable accuracy and to keep the barrel clean of fowling and (preventing) the (crud ring) Some powders may have less, some more. But remember were shooting ML's and with this comes extra cleaning of the barrel to prevent the adverse affects of blackpowder or subsitutes,Swab between each shot and you should be fine. BP
Western who makes Blackhorn 209 says not to wipe between shot that you get better accuracy if you do not.

What I have to do when I use 777 can not be call wiping I have to soak the crud ring and clean it out little by little. Lee

Old 02-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

How about the fouling internally in the breech plug. I as you have suggested started drilling it out. But cleaning the BP real well is sort of pain. I did not realize how much the BP could become plugged until I shot BH in the Remington. I shot 15 shots and I was still getting ignition but the flash channel was pretty well plugged and it was hard stuff also.

Regular spray cans of carb cleaner or brake cleaner did not do much to loosen it. I even thought about dropping it in a bath of old fashioned parts cleaner - but then chose your easy way out - the drill.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

I recently bought my first BP rifle. I bought a T/C Omega. Was sold T7 Pellets by the sales person. First shot, first swab, got my rod stuck cuz of the crud ring. Looked like a complete fool at the range. Since then, I have converted over to BH209 and I am very pleased. I am confident that I can take multiple shots without swabbing and maintain my accuracy, consistant sabot seating and no hangfires. Although breech plug and flash hole maintainance is needed for prologed and consistant shooting at the range, in the field, if a follow up shot is necessary, (god forbid) I can just pour in a speed load and squeeze of another round in less than a minute.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry, I accidently duplicated my post.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

I've been using FFF version of T7 in my Pro Hunter. Little less of a crud ring. You can get a follow up shot-crud ring is where the powder was so never had a problem seating another shot...

Quick Reply: Triple 7 crud ring

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.