Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Triumph and XTP's

Old 02-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Spike

Default Triumph and XTP's

I got a new triumph over the holidays and have shot three times now. The first outing I just shot some PR Dead Centers and ended with the 250 gr shockwaves that came with the gun. I ended with a 1 1/2" group at 100 yards (I am a very average shooter, it is not the gun). I was using 100 gr T7 2f with Win T7 primers as well. I could not get the Dead Centers to group especially well for some reason, it could have been me but the shockwaves shot very well.

The two times since, including today, I wanted to shoot a less expensive bullet just for range practice and getting used to the gun itself. Both times I have shot Hornady XTP's in (.452) 240gr and 300gr with both MMP HPH 12 and 24 sabots. I would shoot in three's and varied the powder from 90grains to 120grains and also used T7 2f and 3f. I used the same Win T7 primers and swabbed in between each shot with one windex patch followed by a dry patch. I also tried an alcohol patch as well as T/C’s # 13 bore cleaner in between each shot. Whatever patch I used, I always did the same for each of the three shots.

I could never get the any of the XTP’s to group well at all in either session. There would be groups any where from 4” to 8”. Thought for sure it was me. So at the end of today’s session I had some 300gr dead centers .45/50 cal and shot two groups of three’s with T7 3F 90 and 100 grains. Both groups were within 1 ½”. This leads me to believe the XTP’s just might not shoot in this particular gun.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to shoot for a cheaper range bullet or changing something with the XTP’s that would group well? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Blowback question: I did not shoot the T7 3F until today and saw no evidence of any blowback with the T7 2F. Today, with the 3F there was blowback around the Breech plug area. Was this from the 3F powder?

Thanks,

Jay
Old 02-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Triumph and XTP's

You might try a .44 caliber 300 grain and some Green Harvester Crushed Rib sabots. Of look at some of the Speer Gold Dots.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

blkdiamond45
I also shoot a triumph, they have a cut rifled barrel and need a break in of 50 to 100 shots I usually use a lead bullet that can be shot with out a sabot and for the first 20 or so shots I fire lap it. Getting a particular bullet to shoot often requires finding the right sabot. The ones that come with SW are MMP HPH24 that's a good one to try you may also want to try the Crush Rib and the short black Harvester. I find with mine that using the Short Black Harvester with the SW gives me excellent results the 250 gr Gold Dot works best with the Crush Rib. The powder that works best by far for me is Blackhorn 209, the loads that I worked out are 120 gr With the 250 SW,110 with the 250 gr Gold Dot, and 90 gr with the XTP I also so use the Nosler Partition but only for for elk and bigger game.
Hope this helps . Lee
Old 02-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

My triumph shoots the best with pyrodex premium 80g seems to work the best with win 777 primers. it seems I can shoot several different conical wieghts and types with this powder primer combo and hold very good groups with it. clean up is faster with the premium that t7.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Spike

thanks guys,

Lee, I hate to sound stupid but what is fire lapping?

Jay
Old 02-09-2009, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

blkdiamond45
Fire lapping is a process used to polish the bore and rifling with out going through regular lapping process. In order to due it you take JB Bore paste or Jewelers Rouge and mix it with the light grease and coat a lead bullet [I like to useREAL bullets for this but any lead bullet will work] then shoot them with about 80 gr. Lee
Old 02-09-2009, 02:16 PM

I shot my Triumph Saturday morning with 300gn XTP"s/ 110gn Blackhorn/ Black Crushed Rib Sabots. After getting a new scope sighted in I was able to shoot a couple 100yd groups @ 1 1/2". Then one 4shot group @ 200yds @ 3". This rifle has shot well with several bullets and 110gn BH. I shot .458 Remingtons last year with it good luck.
Zen