Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 dial up sucks (venting) >

dial up sucks (venting)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

dial up sucks (venting)

Old 02-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default dial up sucks (venting)

I can't get dsl or cable. live to far from the main road. both sat and wireless is a little out of my budget, now with hunting net's latest updates and server move. it sometimes takes me 5mins to view an topic. about a half the time, it I times out.

sorry little off topic rant.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: dial up sucks (venting)

I feel your pain. Before I went to Wild blue Satellite I was on a dial up. I live in the middle of now where and my speeds were next to nothing. I was lucky when I got 28,800. And the problem is not just this site. The whole Internet has turned into a mass marketing machine. All the video adds, and some sites, the adds open first before you can even see the content of the site. Believe me, I feel your pain. But I was reading and they said by 2010 the nation should be wireless. That means the prices on that will come down and then everyone can afford something to surf the Internet. Lets hope so anyway.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

omg, I gotta do some up dates to the computer. I could not even post lol

there is 2 or 3 where I live that has the wireless up and running. about 49/month I would live with that just to be a faster. and I live very close to an cell tower.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I am not even close enough for wireless where I live, so satellite was my only choice. It was $49.99 a month. When it works, it is great. When it don't work it really makes me wild and blue....
Old 02-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it makes you feel any better I'm on cable modem and this site is taking forever for me to load and I often have to keep hitting reload for it to load. It's something going on with the site.

Can you get Alltel cell service where you are? If so you can get a plan for $30 a month for unlimited data tethering and use it hooked to your computer as a modem. It works as high speed. Not cable fast but pretty quick. I've seen speeds around 700kbps to 1mbps. Usually somewhere in there. It's a lot faster than 56kbps dialup which is often no where near 56k. It's also faster than 512k dsl and works well. Upload speeds aren't bad either. I use it traveling but if I lived where I couldn't get cable or dsl if I could get cell service I'd use that.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

we have alltel (if you had not heard is now own by verizon) in our area. I think I will hold out until I figure what I can pay for. maybe some of the companies that have the wireless cards run some deals and put out lower cost plan
Old 02-07-2009, 06:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Well I seem to wait and wait for a lot of this site also, so I could not even think of what it would be like back on dial up. I complain about the Wild Blue but only because they do not put out what the "technically" promise. Let me tell you some of the real truth about Dish Network Wild Blue Internet Satellite.

For instance, they tell you about (their basic package)512 down load speed and 128 upload speed. What they don't tell you is if you're getting in the area of 300 down load speed, they consider that in their range. What they figure on is, if you were getting 28 down load speeds before, you're still in hog heaven, and you are. And if you had read the tiny print five page contract you have to sign, you would have known that. The same goes for upload speed. If you're getting 70 or above, then they are in their projected range of the 128 they like to brag on the adds about. So never believe that stuff they push on their TV adds.

They also tell you weather does not effect the system. Well what they meant to tell you is some weather does not effect the system. But some does. So if you get a heavy rain the satellite goes out. If you get a snow (like it never snows here) it will slow the satellite down. You also have to worry about the weather over your "hub" which is where the signal is brought in and bounced or something. Mine happens to be Cheyenne Wyoming. And if you call to complain they put you through all these tests for twenty minutes, and then give you a song and dance that they don't know what might be causing it tonight. And to check back with them tomorrow and see if it is not better.

A lot of their speed problems from talking to the person (my brother the computer geek) that built my slap bang custom made, super fast computer.. they over sell their bandwidth. So if a satellite can handle lets say 1,000,000 homes at a time, but it just so happens all the kids are out of school and there is 1,299,999 people all working for that signal... guess what happens. The signal drops. Now you can not get Dish Network to admit to overselling their signal. All you can do is put up with the slow speeds.

Ever wonder how fast your system is... http://performance.toast.net/default.asp go to that site and run a test. Or http://speedtest.net/ it will give you an idea of how well you are doing. Or NOT doing in many cases...
Old 02-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel for ya, I live in the sticks also, and we just recently got high-speed internet, but I still have dial-up. But what suprises me is how much more faster some of your guy's dial up's are yet there slower than mine. I only get 32.8kbps and I have no problem with this site downloading, mabey 10 seconds. But what I do have is for $2.95 a month more is called (Xpress 2.0) it adds excelleration. I jus looked at the speed of it and I guess I actually get 214.7kbps total cost for internet is $12.95 a month. I was thinking of changing to high speed, but I have so many accounts with my e-mail on them that it would be more of a hassle to change everything than to just leave it as is, I can live with dial-up, for now anyway, but I did get Cable TV,,,,,YEAAAAA!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Dominant Buck

When I was on dial up there was a service called ZOOMER and what it did was take the adds and graphic (pictures) out of the down load. It did speed things up but you were always then going into a post and having to enhance the picture so you could see it. And it was still slow as the devil most the time...
Old 02-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

i have COMCAST.
'
IT IS AROUND 1,000,000 ON SPEED.

before i had that dial up at 28 kp,it was awful.

i now get phone i can call anywhere for free
i get high speed internet.
2 digital boxes with HD and around 800 channels..

its called TRIPLE PLAY.

IT COST ME 129 A MONTH

1 box is around 109 month.

i dont call much so the phone thing i dont use alot.
my brother calls his daughter 5 states away every day and its free.

if you get just the internet high speed , you can use that 39 dollar thing on tv and get free phone service anywhere.

a lot are doing that.

Quick Reply: dial up sucks (venting)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.