Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Going to build a traditional gun... need help >

Going to build a traditional gun... need help

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Going to build a traditional gun... need help

Old 02-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default Going to build a traditional gun... need help

Well after posting those prurdy guns and trying to see if Cayugad was going to bite, I got bit. I do not have a traditional gun as all of mine are inlines. I'm really sorry but to tell you the truth with all the new products and bullets for em I'm almost bored to shoot them. I want to tinker with the past and what I would like is a 58 cal Hawken asI missed out on a cherry of one a few days ago. I've been looking at Track of the Wolf in which I would have them do all the breech plug fitting etc but I also found a Green Mountain Barrel in that caliber but not sure if it comes with breech and whether or not they fit them. What stocks can I use?I really want to shoot one of these bullets: its a 600 grain maxi in 58 cal. Do not ask why other than all I can say is "hell ya." What loads are you guys using and what type bullets and weights are you shooting. All I can say isI do shoot a TK2000 loaded with 2-1/2oz of lead over 120 gr of Pyro and it kicks like hell soI can't image this being much different. Any info would greatly be appreciated. The family and I will be in Wisconsin at the Dells and will scoot over to Minnesota for the Mall of America sometime in July soif any of you know of any "have to stop gun shops" let me know. Thanks again.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdetail.aspx?id=323907

Old 02-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Banned

Default RE: Going to build a traditional gun... need help

does GM make a 58cal barrel with a twist fast enough for that conical?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

WOW Gotbuck, a 600 grain Maxi??? You `da man! I have no idea how well a 1:70" twist would shoot that long bullet, but it sure would be sweet with patched balls.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Dominant Buck

My 1-70 does not shoot conicals or minnie at all. And I tried a lot of different ones. But if you load 110 grains of Goex 2f and a .570 patched ball.. you're in business and nothing will stand in your way. Good luck with your rifle.

When you're in the Dells, I hope Lake Delton is all filled up again. Although they are hurting tourist wise because of the flood, so there should be some good deals there. As for gun shops in the area... none that I can think of. Have fun in the Dells...
Old 02-03-2009, 11:44 AM
mountaineer magic

My 58 cal shoots the 525 gr great plains conical with a 100 gr. of 777 real well but it is a 1:48 twist. My 1:70 twist won't stabilize the conical , they shoot strictly round ball. I have a few green Mountain barrels and i'm pretty sure the 58 cal is a 1:70 twist. I seriously doubt it will shoot that conical. Unless the twist is faster than what I think it is

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Old 02-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

The barrel is 1:70 twist, my question is what can shoot this maxi? It is for a 58 cal and I see this type on Auctionarms all the time and now I want to shoot them. Is this for a smoothbore? I'm still researching for a big bore and like I said I hope to have one by deer season.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Dominant Buck

There are .58 caliber inlines once in a while. They would shoot them. Or the old T/C Big Boars used to come in .58 and had a 1-48 twist. I would bet they shot those big conicals well too.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

I just came across a web page talking about the TC Big Boar and yes it has a 1:48, there is also a Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter that shoot well also. Man so many decisions and calibers. How do you guys do it?

http://www.chuckhawks.com/58_muzzleloaders.htm

Old 02-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Dominant Buck

That's easy.. buy them all.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Or you could be conservative and only buy every other one.

Quick Reply: Going to build a traditional gun... need help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.