Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Playing with scopes >

Playing with scopes

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Playing with scopes

Old 01-31-2009, 03:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Playing with scopes

Took the wife to walmart today and of course I had to go back to the sporting goods section. I picked up a couple T/C hot shot nipples for $2.50 each and got a set of T/C rings and bases for $9.00. These are call Gorilla Grips. The bases are fairly high and have a hole through them where a cross bolt goes through the ring and the base. The package says the scope can be easily removed and maintain zero.
So I took off the Prostaff scope on the Genesis and put the T/C bases and rings on and installed a Simmons 3-9X that Bushnell repair shop sent me brand new because they could not repair the old 4x Simmons I sent them.
We'll see it the Genesis will knock it apart.
I also installed a new 1.75 - 4X scope on my 45-70 Guide gun. I guess I will go out on Monday and sight them both in.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Playing with scopes

Keep us posted how well those gorilla grips work. I have seen them but never had the guts to try them. Have you seen the deal Natches has on a Nikon Omega 3-9x40mm.. $149.00 it does not have the BDC but it is a Nikon Omega. I just mounted a new scope on the Genesis, but am tempted to buy that Nikon and put that on a rifle.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I figured out today that an Omega will not fit on a Genesis without removing the rear sight. Unless you're using some very high rings.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

A-lot of the scope/muzzleloader combinations even with see-thru mounts you will still have to remove the rear right, unless you get lucky.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

I also removed my rear sight on my Genesis. I didn't have to remove the ramp, I jus took off the upper slide (with the notch and optics)

Old 02-01-2009, 06:35 AM

i had to remove mine on the omega
Old 02-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well with these gorilla mounts what I plan on doing is sighting in the scope. Then removing the scope/rings from the bases, swab the barrel good, reattach the scope and shoot a shot or two then repeat.
Curious to see how well it comes back to zero. I am going to try and reinstall using the same amount of pressure. I don't have a screwdriver with torque measuring capability but I think the same torque on the cross bolts will be the key to maintaining the zero.
I like washing the barrel with hot soapy water but you have to be extra careful with the scope. I know they are waterproof but I don't want to intentionally submerge it. And I don't like putting the muzzle in the water expecially with that fiber optic sight. I'm afraid it may crack.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

I have had a set of Weaver crossbolt rings/bases on my .308 for years and no prob return to zero.The leupolds on the Omega are much nicer though

Charlie

Sorry wrong gun-they are on my Ithaca Deerslayer,with a 1.5 Burris scope. Now that puppy KICKS,got the 20" barrel
Old 02-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Well with these gorilla mounts what I plan on doing is sighting in the scope. Then removing the scope/rings from the bases, swab the barrel good, reattach the scope and shoot a shot or two then repeat.
Curious to see how well it comes back to zero. I am going to try and reinstall using the same amount of pressure. I don't have a screwdriver with torque measuring capability but I think the same torque on the cross bolts will be the key to maintaining the zero.
I like washing the barrel with hot soapy water but you have to be extra careful with the scope. I know they are waterproof but I don't want to intentionally submerge it. And I don't like putting the muzzle in the water expecially with that fiber optic sight. I'm afraid it may crack.
Bronko

You will find that the Gorilla/CVA Universal Mounts will work perfectly, and return to Zero

Mine Always do! Got them mounted on my 45 Disc Elite, take them off for full cleanings and always return to zero
Gotta love these mounts, inexpensive and really work!