Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 THOMPSON LAYING OFF >

THOMPSON LAYING OFF

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

THOMPSON LAYING OFF

Old 01-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default THOMPSON LAYING OFF

t/c has laid off over 250 employees in just 1 year.

they were taken over by s&w last year.

they are down to 250 people now.

i see their gun prices going up and possibly you will pay for some things we got free before.

i dont think S&W is going to give things away.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: THOMPSON LAYING OFF

I was worried something like this would happen when I saw S&W take them over. You seldom see a merger work for the benefit of the customer. Its more for the company and their way of making larger profits.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

you are correct.

dave, they are head hunting bad out there.

rumors are that prices are going up too.

many of the experienced workers got fed up and retired.

this is happening also all over my county here to, if you are over 50, WATCH OUT,they are finding ways to get rid of you.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Being bought by S&W did not help TC one bit.Also theeconomy of this country is in the tank. Folks are losing their jobs by the thousands every day.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Small companies consolidating to cut costs?? And cut jobs?? Prices going up?? Service going down?? So what's new??

The entire sporting goods industry is in financial trouble. With the exception of just a few companies. Less and less people are hunting and shooting. So the mfrs. are constantly fighting for a piece of the shrinking pie. It has been that way for the last 30 years, and the pie is only getting smaller.

This is the reason why companies feel the need to always come out with something new and improved every year. And this is the reason why some of these companies are spending so much money on marketing.

A lot of these companies are too big for their market, that is a simple fact. Normally if they can downgrade properly then they can save their company. S&W has been a master of this. IMO that is why they took over TC. They bought a company that had a reputation of quality. The same way S&W had a reputation of quality.S&W did a major down sizing, and now they are a very good company,and they are standing on very firm ground.

Laying off is real bad for the workers, but if there is good management then it can be very good for the company. IF TC would just get back to building quality products for a decent price, and stop worrying about enormous marketing and expansion, and always having to bring out something new and improved every year then I think they will be alright. But if they try to stay on this maddening pace that they have put themselves on then the vicious circle will take them down. Tom.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:38 AM
Fork Horn

Its the sign of the times. This started about 10-12 years ago. The first cry was, "the American workerisn't productive", so the workers themselves gave ideas how to become more efficient and it worked in most cases.Next the wages were tooehigh and benefits too costly, workers gave back at negotiations etc., etc., But the bottom line in all thisis greed. Greed by corporate America, just look at Wall Street! Who pays for the bailouts? The ones that can least afford it.Now I hope that someone somewhere finally realizes you can't send the jobs overseas, lay people off so a few can receive ahuge bonus. I saw this coming years ago and I'm not the smartest guy in the world.Getting back to the topic, Smith & Wesson didn't have great customer service a few years back so I guess the buy out of Thompson is just another step backwards!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup companies are doing stuff to get rid of older workers any way they can.
My brother worked in a factory for years now. Lost all the fingers on his left hand in a press cycleing accident. There fore he had a life time job with the company.
He was recently let go, the company supossedly was sold to another company. Same big shots in the front office though. They don't have to hunor the settlement as they didn't make it.
Where is a 59 year old with only one good hand supposed to get a job in a state with over 10% unemployed many a lot younger people?

The goverment keeps talking resession, I say bull, where I am looking it is a depression.
I really enjoy the fact I am on a fixed income and still pay taxes so the wall street PUKES get bonuses and fly in private jets.

I told Kare this morning they should just let the banks all fail. Out of the ashes like in the late 30's and 40's others will arise.
FDIC covers the little guys money in those banks. I could care less about the fat cats their greed caused much of this any way. Wouldn't cost as much and wouldn't keep p#$$ing us middle to low income people off.

Al
Old 01-31-2009, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

FDIC covers the little guys money in those banks. I could care less about the fat cats their greed caused much of this any way. Wouldn't cost as much and wouldn't keep p#$$ing us middle to low income people off.

Al
The FDIC may cover the cash for the little guy. But the way the government is starting to spend our money, and theway they are printing the money,our money wil soon be worthless.Severe inflation is right around the corner!!!

I do wish your brother good luck.

However what you say about Wall Street and upper management is true. They do not care what happens to the little guy. Tom.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

SAD PART IS MOST EXPERIENCED WORKERS AT t/c ARE GONE.

my neighborhood is filled with workers that are 50 to 55 years old that were forced to retire.

almost all had to go on DISABILITY to live, they hate it.

they had these injurys for years and worked with them.

they wanted to work until 62.

but companies said,IF YOU DONT LEAVE ON DISABILITY, WE ARE LAYING YOU OFF.[:@]

like said, where is person 55 years old going to find a job.