Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 laying a secnt trail >

laying a secnt trail

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

laying a secnt trail

Old 11-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default laying a secnt trail

how often do you guys refresh the rag or whatever you use when laying a scent rail? I'm thinking of breaking out the scent for the first time this year tonight.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: laying a secnt trail

If you're going to hunt morning to night, its probably a good idea to get down once mid-day and apply more scent to the rag. Shouldn't need to refresh things any more than that.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Spike

If your talking about using a rag to leave scent as you walk through the woods, I tend to use a lot of scent, refreshing it every 50-100 yards.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

Thats exactly what i was tlaking about thanks. Do you have much success with that method?
Old 11-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Spike

I have had success about 50-60% of the time, whether its does or bucks. I us this method when I walk into my treestand. I had a small 8-pointer and a group of does the other day at separate times walk directly on my trail. The buck walked directly under my stand, and once the trail ended, he just stood there looking around, eventually walking off. So I"d say it does work.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Glad you brought this up SD, I've used a drag rag twice this year, once early with doe pee and just the other day with Tinks 69. Results....nothing, either time. So firegoon, if you don't mind sharing the info, what brand are you using?
Old 11-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Typical Buck

This morning I was using Trails end on one drag rag and Special Doe Estrous on the other. Trails End is great stuff IMO.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Spike

I have been using a mix of differnet stuff. Mostly from Wildlife Research: Trails End, Special Golden Estrus, and another called Blue Moonor Hot Moon, something like that. I'm also going to start trying this Deer Dander.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Spike

ive been having some real good luck recently using Mrs. Doe Pee... i put some of that on the middle arched bottom part of my boot about every 70 yards, and usually will walk to my stand. set everything down, and put some on near bushes where there is room for it to blow around like on the outside bush by a trail... and then i will put more on my boots and walk right past my stand and keep going past till about 50 more yards and put just a little bit of drops there
Old 11-04-2006, 12:15 PM

the best way to do it is to start with hardly any scent on it and as you get closer to your stand apply more and more. this way the deer travel in your direction not the other way because it appears that the trail is getting hotter the closer the deer gets to you.

Quick Reply: laying a secnt trail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.