Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Teflon Tape or Anti Sieze? >

Teflon Tape or Anti Sieze?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Teflon Tape or Anti Sieze?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default Teflon Tape or Anti Sieze?

Wondering which is betterto use on the breech plug.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Teflon Tape or Anti Sieze?

If you are trying to control blowback in one the tape works best, if blowback is really well controlled as in a Triumph a light coat of Birchwood Casey Synthetic oil. I personally find the tape a pain but for Traditional guns and controlling blowback it is best. Lee
Old 01-27-2009, 07:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Now this might sound like over kill... I use both. I wrap the plug with Teflon Tape and then I smear a little Slick 50 One Grease on the tape. I then have no problems getting the breech plug back out. I had some bad experiences with stuck plugs when I first got into inlines and I learned fast that over kill is not a bad thing when it comes to breech plugs.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the early days when I got my first inline I overtightened the breechplug and had a heck of a time getting it out. No, I did'nt reef it down, just tightened it to where it was really snug. From then on I now just hand tighten it and put some anti-size on it and after shooting it comes right out with no problem, and there is no problem with blow-back. (SO HOW TIGHT IS TIGHT WHEN TIGHTENING A BREECH PLUG???) How tight do other's tighten it? Ron
Old 01-27-2009, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also, it would seen with all the threads holding the breechplug in, it should'nt need to be that tight?
Old 01-27-2009, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also depends upon the powder used. For BH209 - a single layer of tape should be all that's needed.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really think this one comes down to personal preference. Both work equally well IMO at keeping the plug from sticking. Personally the messiness of the grease is worse than the tape residue, so I use tape. But the grease works just as well.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

I do run mine in snug - not tight... I have always had a little fear about a slightly loose BP taking on the pressure of the discharge... and Murphys Law...

One single layer of the correct tape for your BP is all I use... Sometimes it it is the regular white plummers water tape, and sometimes it is the thicker higher pressurepink tape.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank's for the info Mike, Im gonna get some of that (pink) tape and try it as I've never tried the tape befor. I just hope my buddies dont see the pink tape on my ML or I'll never hear the end of that one!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

I used Never sieze for years and switched to tape. Works as well less mess

Charlie

Quick Reply: Teflon Tape or Anti Sieze?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.