Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Double barrel Shotgun >

Double barrel Shotgun

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Double barrel Shotgun

Old 01-27-2009, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default Double barrel Shotgun

Well I just ordered the double barreled black powder 12 ga from Cabelas and I have to admit, I am new to muzzleloading shotguns, not rifles though. I have ordered shot, felt wadding and quick shots at the recomendation of a friend that shoots one.
Any insite from the forum on this? This gun will be my primary waterfowl gun , as I do love shooting muzzleloading guns. just looking for tips and/or tricks on loading and shooting this.

As for powder I do have 3 pounds of Pinnacle coming and I do have a full bottle of T7 here also.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Double barrel Shotgun

I did a lot of hunting with one years a go, for waterfowl I would recommend getting a number of different regular reloading wads like the power piston and the closed one Herters used to sell; and just like with the rifle you have to find the load that patterns best. Lee
Old 01-27-2009, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

I had a 10ga. Pedersoli which I sold last year. Ist check the regulation of the barrels. Mine was so far off it was almost useless. The left barrel shot below POI. I still have the shotflasks, one is the English style the other is a Irish styleif your interested in them. If your hunting waterfowl you will need plastic shot cups to protect the barrels from the steelshot. I would suggest the ribbed ones, they are easier to load thru the chokes.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ahhh I've been lookin' at those for a long time. I'm quite jealous. I just can't justify spending that much money right now... maybe one day. Make sure you keep us updated on how it shoots.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

On the TC site I was paging andd found oin this link pages 51-55 or so all kinf of shotgun loads for you. Good Luck! http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals/current/Shooting_TC_Side_Lock_Black_Powder_Guns.pdf
Old 01-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for that link Buck Hunter. I've been looking for some of that stuff.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:03 AM
Fork Horn

Well, It arrived Friday, I was on my way down to Florida for my hog hunt with my Omega, Yea I got a nice 180 pound boar.

I went out and shot the shotgun Sunday and what a blast. 70 grains T7 with two cushion wads, 1 1/4oz hevi-shot#5, cushion wad over that and itpattern real well at 30 yards with the Modified and Imp cyl chokes. This is my waterfowl load.

My upland and target load is 60 grains T7, 1 1/8oz lead shot #7 1/2 for now, same wadding and it patterns well also at 30 yards. Actually the modified choke in both loads patters a little better than the improved Cyl choke.

This will be my primary waterfowl gun, and may turn into my upland also.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:08 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck with the double. I have a single barrel 12ga that I made for my H & A Underhammer from a Marlin blank from the Gun Parts Corp. Yrs ago I read of a hunter that shot over 350 crows a year with a 11ga. double. He cut his own wadding and I do the same. He used two layers of card stock from the back of leagal pads or card board milk containers for under shot and one layer as a overshot wad. My son has a 12ga barrel for his New Englander and I can't begin to tell you how many Pigions we have shot at different farms with these two guns. I use a simple 4 oz. Elmers glue bottle for a flask, it goes easily into a shirt pocket. Clean the empty bottle of glue and just cut the slitted opening from the spout. the Orange cap/plug will still snap onto it to seal it. I use one for shot and one for powder.

Have a Blast and Make lots of smoke.