Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 you've got a $1000..what gun would you buy? >

you've got a $1000..what gun would you buy?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

you've got a $1000..what gun would you buy?

Old 01-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default you've got a $1000..what gun would you buy?

So, you've come upon an extra $1000. What would be you guys muzzleloader choice?
Old 01-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: you've got a $1000..what gun would you buy?

Well I am going to go out on a limb here with all the in line shooters. But If I had $1000 (along with the MLs I have now) I would wait a bit and get another hundred or two and get an original St. Louis Hawken.
Now If I did not have a ML, I would get a nice used T/C Hawken, fit it with a new Green Mountain barrel. Then I would get a CVA Optima Pro and a Nikon Prostaff scope for it. The balance of the $ would be spent on powder, bullets and other extras.
I know there are a lot of Encore shooters out there but I don't think I would spend the money on one. IMO you can get just as good of accuracy with the CVA as you can with the T/C.
But you know what they say about opinions!?!?
Old 01-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Dominant Buck

That would depend on my preferences and what I hunt and in what manner. But for an inline rifle, it would be a Savage ML-10, a Thompson Center Triumph, Knight Disc Extreme, or CVA Accura (in that order) Now the Savage of course would depend on whether or not smokeless powder was legal, or it appealed to your sense of hunting. All of them would be equipped with top quality optics and then I would have all the powder and range in a muzzleloader that was possible. If all my shots were close range and in heavy cover I would look at the Green Mountain Barrel Disc Extreme 120/54 caliber for conicals.

If I were looking towards a more traditonal rifle, since that would not purchase a custom made flintlock, I would look at the Green Mountain Barrel rifle that is a Hawkins, with a 32 inch barrel and a tube scope. They sell for $599.00 and are supposed to be great shooters. Another choice would be perhaps a Pedersolli or Thompson Center Hawkins.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Banned

Accura, plain jane blue/black version and then take the rest of the $$$ and buy a ton of powder and bullets, primers for it.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Once you get to the point of having a really good quality gun, then you have the choice of getting an other gun for an other purpose. or perhaps taking the one you have on a hunting trip. As my wife keeps telling me you can only shoot one at a time so why do you need 20. Lee
Old 01-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

I'd get my first flint lock (maybe a Lyman Great Plains...I don't know). Of course I wouldn't need $1000 so I would get "stuff" for it with the rest of the $$$!
Old 01-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Triumph + scope + powder + bullets, of many kinds
Old 01-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mnprohunter

So, you've come upon an extra $1000. What would be you guys muzzleloader choice?
That would be pretty easy for me, since I have a Tupperware stock Savage with a Stainless barrel. I would buy a $795 Savage Stainless barrel with a thumbhole stock and a Leoupould Scope. It would eat the $1000 and then a few hundred extra. I would keep my existing Savage for hunting, since it would be beat up and I would shoot my other Savage for load development and long range shooting. I would also like a Sharps 45/70, but that is a BP Cartridge gun so it is really not a MLer, but a single shot cartridge gun. That is over $1000 also.
Chap
Old 01-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

Well, seeing as how I posed the question, I suppose I should also answer it. I would probably get a T/C Triumph in Camo with Weathershield. I guess that leaves a heck of a lot of money so, I guess I would buy accessories with the rest. Seeing as how scopes for muzzleloader season are not legal in Minnesota, don't need that, and even if they were, I would still use open sights because I think that is part of the challenge of the muzzleloader. Just my opinion. Of course, my wife will tell you I don't need any more guns...which of course I reply...you didn't need another Diamond ring either. =)
Old 01-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

mnprohunter

For me I would have to wait - either for a Triumph in Stainless or the new Knight coming out in May...

Quick Reply: you've got a $1000..what gun would you buy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.