Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Testing trigger weight >

Testing trigger weight

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Testing trigger weight

Old 01-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default Testing trigger weight

Guys-

Without a gauge (or whatever the appropriate device is), what's the best way to test the pound pull/break? Perhaps there is no way to test it.

Thanks in advance!!!

Hammer
Old 01-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Testing trigger weight

I use the small scale I have to weigh fish and turkey. I tie a shoe string to it, cock the hammer, put the string on the trigger, and pull back watching the scale until the trigger breaks. It will not tell you exactly what it is but will give you a real good idea.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

If you want accuracy I think you need something like this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/Default.aspx#trigger%20scale____-_1-2-4_8-16-32

If you want to just get an idea you can use a fish scale like cayugad explained!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends upon how accessible the trigger is. If you can tie a good line to a empty gallon milk jug, such that the line is not contacting anything else, such that the weight of the jug is suspended from and pulling on the trigger, you can slowly add water to the jug until the trigger actuates. You can then determine the volume of water requiredand figure about 8pounds per gallon.

Gross method but it will get you in the ball park.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always use a small pot that has a handle that goes from one side to the other, just spring the handle out put it through the trigger guard over the top of the trigger prop the gun up and very slowly add water to the pot when it trips I weigh the pot with the water in it on a digital scale then dump the water out and weigh the pot empty and subtract from the total. Lee
Old 01-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do like Cay...With some stocksI take the action out of the stock and you can pull straight back on the trigger and set it where you want it...
Old 01-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I always use a small pot that has a handle that goes from one side to the other, just spring the handle out put it through the trigger guard over the top of the trigger prop the gun up and very slowly add water to the pot when it trips I weigh the pot with the water in it on a digital scale then dump the water out and weigh the pot empty and subtract from the total. Lee
Why subtract the weight of the pot? It'sthe combined weight that trips the trigger.