Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bonded sabots

Old 01-18-2009, 07:16 AM

Default Bonded sabots

Can anybody explain to me exactly what the difference is between a bonded and a non-bonded sabot? The context of various discussions I've seen aboutsabots gives me an idea about what the difference is, but I haven't seen a direct explanation of it.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bonded sabots

Bonded VS non Bonded sabots really has little to do with the sabot itself. It has more to do with the construction of the bullet used in the sabot. Bullets as you know are designed to do certain things when they hit game. Some are bone breakers, some expand and make massive wound channels, etc..

Many muzzleloader shooters had concerns with the way some of these projectiles were designed. A perfect example is the Hornady SST or T/C Shockwave. They are the same bullet. While the Shockwave is known for long range accuracy, some wanted a bullet designed that on bigger game like elk, moose, etc you would get deeper penetration while still getting adequate expansion without fragmentation. So a bonded shockwave was designed. I believe it has a blue tip nose.

In powerbelts there are different grades of powerbelts. Platinum powerbelts I believe you could describe as a somewhat bonded powerbelt. They are made to not fragment. Which is a common complaint on the bullet by some. I have never shot the platinum so I really can not say this is fact. Just what I have read.

The bonding is a process where the outside coating is adhered to the inner part of the bullet by some manner that makes the bullet have less expansion, less fragmentationand deeper penetration.

This is my understanding on this issue.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Regular bullets (non-bonded) are made by pressing a lead core into the jacket under high pressure, and closing the jacket around the top. It is done under such pressure (called swaging) that the lead flows into all spaces. While the lead perfectly fits the inside of the jacket, it is not actually attached to it. The jacket is just that -- a jacket wrapped around the outside of the bullet like your coat around you.

With a bonded bullet, the lead is (at least in one process) melted inside the jacket and a chemical agent added that causes the lead to actually attach itself to the jacket. When it cools, the final forming is then done as with a normal bullet. So to finish the analogy, it's like sewing one side of velcro to the inside of you jacked and the other side to your shirt so when you put the jacket on it's physically attached to you.

The result is that when the bullet opens, the heavy lead core does not split apart from the jacket. If part of the jacket is ripped off, it must take a chunk of the lead with it since they are attached. The result is the bullet holds together a lot better.

The downside is that the bullet is tougher, and on thin-skinned game or shots that don't hit anything hard the bullet won't expand as well.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:46 AM

I forgot that in referring to the sabot, I was really just talking about the plastic part that the bullet rides in. I'm new to muzzleloading, so I don't have all of the terminology down yet.

Very good info. Thanks guys.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: waterdogjoe

Can anybody explain to me exactly what the difference is between a bonded and a non-bonded sabot? The context of various discussions I've seen aboutsabots gives me an idea about what the difference is, but I haven't seen a direct explanation of it.
It is the bullet that is bonded not the sabot. The jacket of the bullet is bonded to the lead core, usually with soddering or some other method. This keeps the bullet from fragmenting.
Chap
Old 01-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

boy, do i learn a lot on here