Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Texas hunt

Old 01-15-2009, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Texas hunt

My dads cousin own 1000 acres near Sweetwater TX. I was wondering if anyone on here knows anything about this area. Terrain, deer population and rut times down there?Any information about the area would be helpful. THanks

Old 01-15-2009, 06:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Texas hunt

WOW!!! pinch his cheeks and call him Lucky. There has to be good hunting around there. Texas is a real hidden gem when it comes to hunting. This will be an interesting questiion.

My Dad & Mother had a second home in Mission Texas where they went to avoid the winters. And Dad's neighbor always went hunting for all kinds of things down there.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I google-earthed Sweetwater. Once you get out of town it looks like a great area for hunting. Let me know if the relatives ever want to initiate a hog eradication program, free of charge!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

I hunted in Mt. Pleasant for hogsone year and the terrain was similar to what I was used to here in Missouri. There were thick timbers, open fields, swamps you name it.I was not impressed with the deer I saw as compared to the Midwest monsters but perhaps it was due to the high hog counts on this farm. Sweetwater is out in west Texas and from what I've seen they have wide open areas and brushy spots that deer like to hide in along with cactus. Don't overlook the water holes as well. Any deer is a trophy. Good luck you lucky dog.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

West Texas deer aren't big, but there's plenty of them.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:21 PM

Watch out for the Rattle Snakes, thats where they have the RattleSnake Round Up every year.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well im gonna try to make plans to go next year. Not sure what the best time frame would be to hunt down there. I'm gonna call my dads cousin and talk to him a bit about it, but he doesnt hunt so not sure how much information he can give me. Its a 10 hour drive from my house so it wont be to bad. I enjoy hunting different places Ohio and Missouri is the only place that I have hunted besides Arkansas. UncleNorby if you want to hunt hogs just come on down. There tearing our pastures up, but the darn rascals seem to move mostly at night.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well honestly my offer was mostly in fun, BUT, I do want to hunt hogs! I will definintely keep this offer in mind for next year. I live in northern IN, so it would be a loooong drive. I'd probably have to fly, but it's not out of the question. Thanks very much!
Old 01-16-2009, 07:50 AM

Rut around Texas in the upper half of the state is around the middle of November to around Thanksgiving. The more south you go the later it gets. I'd say upper is draw a line through the middle.