Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hornady Low Drag Sabot >

Hornady Low Drag Sabot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady Low Drag Sabot

Old 01-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Spike

Default Hornady Low Drag Sabot

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Hornady Low Drag Sabots with the 250gr SST bullet. I normally shoot the TC 250gr Shockwave with a Superglide sabot, because I have a very tight bore in my Traditions rifle. I have heard good and bad things about the Shockwave, and I just want to try something else and have a couple options.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hornady Low Drag Sabot

nagel_1

The SST/SW is pretty much the same bullet - both are made by Hornady. The low drag, the super glide, and the new Barnes sabotand the MMP HPH-3p are all the same sabot - made by MMP
Old 01-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot about a 2" group with 200gr SW's out of my Optima Elite, I tried the 250gr Low Drags and they expanded to a 4" group. I think for this year I am going to try the 200 gr SW's with a crushrib and see how that does along with switching to BH from Shockeys Gold.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

I shot three boxes of the new low drag and was slightly impressed w/my Omega.They definetly load easier, shot very close to the same as far as I could tell. It was somewhat of a windy the day I was shooting and held a 3" @ 100 yards. Not as good but I did have a cross wind in an open field and I'm just a fair shot. When I was shooting good I can clover leaf @ 100 yards. Since I did not shoot a deer w/ the 110 grain load of 777 loose powder in the Omega I can't tell you how the bullet would perform. All the sst ml I have shot have been in and out. Not a huge exit wound. This is the same results I have heard from the slug hunting folks. The new flex tip hopefully will give better expansion. Either way if you do a double lung the deer is down in 30-50 yrds....
LOL, Steve

Old 01-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Spike

Thanks. As soon as I can get out to the range, if it ever quits snowing here and warms up just a smidge more, I'll try and post a range report.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nagel_1

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Hornady Low Drag Sabots with the 250gr SST bullet. I normally shoot the TC 250gr Shockwave with a Superglide sabot, because I have a very tight bore in my Traditions rifle. I have heard good and bad things about the Shockwave, and I just want to try something else and have a couple options.
SST and SW are same bullet made by Hornady. Chap