Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 White G series "Bison" >

White G series "Bison"

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

White G series "Bison"

Old 01-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default White G series "Bison"

What can you guys tell me about the White G seriesrifles. What is the difference between the Bison and White Tail model. The only differenceI know of is the white tail is lighter in weight.
I sawa Bisontoday@ agun show. Black fiinish but not bright blue, 50 cal, original book, spare breech plug, orange peel blk stock which looked like fiberglass. Has the original sights and a SWEET trigger. The front lug for the ramrod is welded to the barrel. Had all the plugs for the reciever and has a mint bore. The guy wanted 200.00 which I thought was high.
Can you get a 209 conversion caue this is a # 11 capper..?
Will it shoot standard sabots w/the oversized bore accurately. I DO NOT won't to do that fouling shot w/ 30 grains of powder every day I hunt. I shoot from a clean bore so I don't clean until I shoot. Would need bullets that work w/ a clean bore.
Thanks for any info or suggestions..
Steve
Old 01-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: White G series "Bison"

The Bison is a great rifle. As for that laminate looking stock I will guess it is probably a Myrtle wood stock painted black. Its easy to look like one. Also the Bison had cheaper sights then the Whitetail. The Whitetail I believe can be gotten in stainless where the Bison is blue. I have a Bison and it is a .503 bore. Even though the barrel says .504. It is a great shooter with 80 grains of Triple Seven 2f and a 500 grain conical bullet. As for the conversion, I do not know if there is one. Personally that #11 cap and loose powder is all you need. I am sure it can shoot sabots, but I shoot conicals out of mine.

My Bison has a 1x32mm Traditions scope on it. And it is a very good shooter.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Aside from those things that Dave mentioned, the newer Whitetails have a larger recoil lug installed.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

I know the White rifle was an easy loader because of the oversized bore using pure lead heavy wts so that when fired it would obturate to the bore size and cut rifling as it left toward the target. Yes I see the sights on the Whitetail are Williams and the Bison has a nice rear leaf, but they would not be a considereration for me causeI would scope it. I do like that rifle. Being a LH shooter the left short bolt was a plus and cool..
My only concern would be to find a proper bullet.
Just something different that looked like a high grade rifle.
Thanks
Old 01-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

I have 4 Whites and I never foul the bore before I hunt. If you shoot conicals you will need to slug the bore to find out what diameter bullet is best. I have 2 that use .504 and one that uses .503 sized bullets.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

No Excuses has the bullets for the White,,along with Bullshop out of Alaska. I have 4 Whites,,and wouldn't sell or trade them for anything. $200 is a steal.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: cayugad

It is a great shooter with 80 grains of Triple Seven 2f and a 500 grain conical bullet.

Holy cow now that's a bullet. I would not want to be that deer or bear in his neighborhood
Old 01-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://home.mchsi.com/~rltsr/bullshop.jpg Dan can size them to fit your bore perfectly, but you have to give him the dimension.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a whitetail G-series and I love this gun. I bought mine about 15 or 16years ago when Roger Raglin was shooting them. Had a local pawn shop order me one. They load so easy like noother gun that I have ever had. Mine is stainless and it came with a fiberglass stock. When it was about 5 yrs old I notice the stock hadvery fine cracks in it. I called white and they told me to send the gun back and they would replace it. Whenit came back it sported a laminated stock hmmm I called them they stated that they no longer hadthe fiberglass stocks.Oh well the stock looks great anyway. Accuracy is great with the right bullet. It bacame hard to fine the super slugs that mine shot so well, soI started looking around for some other kind. I found out that mine shoots theTC maxi in 370gr superbly, but for some strange reason the 350gr is all over the place. I have never tried any sabots thru mine, but cayugadinformed me that they will shootsabots well so this summer I plan to try some sabots thru mine. Icant really remember butI gave around $350 or $375 formine, to me $200doesnt sound so bad to me. Mine has never given me a minutes trouble other than the stock.Mine has a bold trigger on it that is fully adjustable,its set at 2.5lbs with no creep. Its short and light and awesome for hunting in thickcover or in the fields.My longest shot that I have taken adeer with was 166 yards. Its a real shame that they are no longer the company they once was,I really dont know if they are still in business now or not, butI think you would be pleased with a White rifle.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im picking up a Super 91 504 laminate DEALER SAMPLE today marked, "not for resale" on the barrel. The stock is just beautiful.

Its costing me a chunk of change but it comes with all documents, original box, a pack of White sabots and conicals and the original dealer invoice.

Price also includes a nice set of rings bases and scope which all came with the gun when the dealer ordered it, It appears to be near mint dealer demo.

Im also getting it from the original dealer that ordered it and from his private collection.

Is there anything else i should look for before the deal is finished? Im rather new to Whites and i will seldom shoot this one until i get a cheaper stock. The original is just too nice to chance damaging it.

He also still has the cheaper one with a composite stock for almost half the cost of the dealer sample. I want this one as a trophy for my collection, so im paying a premium price of $650.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 04-17-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Quick Reply: White G series "Bison"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.