Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How often......

Old 01-02-2009, 04:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How often......

I am at my range 24/7, you mean not everyone has a 200 yard range with 2 benches and 2 backstops in there back yard. In my front yard I have a 27 yard range with a bench, 8' from my walk in cellar door. In the winter I also use my driveway for a range it is just over 300 ft long. I plow up snow banks to use as back stops for my driveway and 27 yard ranges. 6' of packed snow will even stop all my 50 bmg loads also I recover almost all my lead out of snow banks when they melt in the spring. Now at the farm we have a 1100 yard range. with a bench, permanent targets at 235, 500 650, 750, 1000 and 1100.

How can you live without being able to open any window of your home and shot at will? Or get together with friends on either your front or back porch and shot severl hunfred rnds. of anything you want to shot.

Ken

Central NY
Old 01-02-2009, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't shoot as much as I like simply because I work about 1/3 of my weekends right now (hope to get another position this year and change that). So I spend many of the others with family activities or catching up from the ones I worked. Until the last couple years I was a very competitive marathoner too, so that ate up an hour or two a day though I run less now.

If I did not have my own range, as a result I would rarely shoot. Fortunately I have a 300 yd range (berm and target at 100 yds, and another berm at 300 yds absorbing bullets from both the 200 and 300 yd target holders) with permanent bench. I can use a portable bench to get 400 yds.

I probably get out once every 1-2 weeks in the winter to shoot SOMETHING, maybe a little more frequently in the summer.

To be honest I shot my MLs less than ever this year. I drew a muley/elk take and worked on my 300WM all summer and did not shoot ANY ML for most of the year. Unless I draw again that will change and I'll shoot mostly ML this year.

I just spent last night packing ammo boxes for Saturday...about 12-20 guys including two from this board coming out to burn some powder. I try to do these events twice a year. My range sees more use by buddies who don't have ranges than from myself!!
Old 01-02-2009, 06:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Usually shoot a couple of times per week. The local military range that i shot on very frequently had to be moved. They just gotthe new range into operation. Last week a friend and i built a 100 yard shooting range at his place about 14 miles from my home. Now we have to make the steel shooting bench left hander friendly for me. Have a range to 200yards on our place in Garvin county, OK but that is 70 miles from home.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Normally I shoot someting 3 to 4 times a week. I spend 23 days deer hunting so I am now trying to catch up on stuff I neglected during that time. I am also douing the heavy maintaince at two residents so that has taken some of my time.
Varmit season soon starts here, bought a new howler call yesterday from a going out of bussness gun/hunting sports store. I also fondled one of my 243 contplating putting a different scope on it yesterday I also fondled the 220 Swift and 54 cal Ml.
Also have to go chase the deer from behind the shooting range back stop since they have taken up beding there during the day. They some times even come back while I am shooting.
Not much time to shoot after mid March till mid Oct.

Al
Old 01-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on weather, workand family commitments I try to get out at least once a month all year. When things are slow I go a couple of times a month and when hunting season is getting close I try to go every week if nothing else takes priority. The range I go to is at the gun club I'm a member of. The longest berm is at 200 yards. Most weekdays there's very few people there so I often have the range to myself. It works out good when you can go check each shot without having to wait for others to finish shooting.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

Not as much as I'd like to. Maybe 1-2 times per month from Jan through April. Then while I'm turkey hunting in May I shoot a lot (half day hunting in NY). I also shoot quite a bit during bow season in the fall. In the summer I shoot about 4 times per month.

I think I need to retire!